Saudi Arabia to allow women to drive
Thursday, September 28, 2017
On Tuesday, Saudi Arabia, signed a royal decree to permit Saudi women to obtain a and drive. The new decree is to be under effect from June 2018. After the signing of the landmark decree, Saudi's foreign affairs ministry tweeted, "By order .. Traffic system allows women to drive the car in the Kingdom" ((ar))Arabic language: بأمر سامي.. نظام المرور يسمح للمرأة بقيادة السيارة في المملكة., the king of
Saudi Arabia was the only country where women were prohibited from driving. A committee of ministers is to decide upon how to implement this decree, and provide recommendations within a month. A majority of the country's religious advisory Shari'a law, the scholars said. Also, Saudi Arabia has a law about guardianship, which mandates women seek permission from male guardians before leaving home. The committee would make recommendations about scenarios like this.had agreed with the amendments. Though women would be issued driving licenses, their permission to drive would have to be in accordance with the
Last year, princeissued a statement in support of eradicating this ban. The prince said, "Preventing a woman from driving a car is today an issue of rights similar to the one that forbade her from receiving an education or having an independent identity". He added, "They are all unjust acts by a traditional society, far more restrictive than what is lawfully allowed by the precepts of religion." The prince also cited economic concerns. In his statement, he said families had to rely on drivers when a female member had to travel, which could be avoided if women were allowed to drive. He said, "Having women drive has become an urgent social demand predicated upon current economic circumstances".
, who was punished for driving in Saudi Arabia, and who , tweeted, "Today, the last country on earth to allow women to drive #Women2Drive#Daring2Drive we did it", after the announcement was made. Women who protested against the unequal rights in 1990 and 2011 were punished, in various cases jailed and banned from travel for years.
- Merrit Kennedy. "Saudi Arabia Says It Will End Ban And Allow Women To Drive" — , September 26, 2017
- Marton Chulov. "Saudi Arabia's king issues order allowing women to drive" — , September 26, 2017
- Ben Hubbard. "Saudi Arabia Agrees to Let Women Drive" — , September 26, 2017
- "Saudi Arabia to allow women to drive" — , September 26, 2017
- Manal Al-Sharif. "Manal al-Sharif on Twitter" — , September 26, 2017
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. "Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on Twitter" — , September 26, 2017 ()
- Alwaleed Bin Talal. "It's high time that Saudi Woman started driving their cars" — , November 24, 2016