Real Madrid edge Manchester City to reach fourteenth European Cup Final
Saturday, May 7, 2016
On Wednesday, Spanish club narrowly beat club 1–0 in the second leg of the semi-final at the in .
The first leg, played on April 26 at the Manchester, ended 0–0. This was Manchester City's first ever appearance at the semi-final stage of the competition. Real Madrid reached the semi-final stage for the 27th time in their history, and have taken part in more semi-finals than any other side.in
Manchester City held firm in the opening minutes, but City captain Brazilian midfielder , and past keeper in the 20th minute for an . Both teams had shots that hit the woodwork during the game. For the majority of the match, Real created the most threat going forward. Joe Hart kept City in the game during the second half as he came up with crucial saves to deny and . City had a chance to snatch a late equaliser through , but the Argentine's shot flew over the goal and onto the top of the net.was substituted after going down with an injury, and Real went ahead ten minutes later when 's cross deflected off City's
In the end Los Blancos celebrated at the final whistle as they held onto their lead from the first half. Real Madrid are now through to their fourteenth European Cup final where they are to face local rivals— whom they faced in the 2014 UEFA Champions League final — on May 28, in .
|May 4, 2016|
Referee: D. Skomina,
| 20' ( )
- "The eleventh European Cup will be played for at the San Siro" — , May 5, 2016
- "Madrid edge past City to reach final" — , May 4, 2016
- Scott Murray. "Real Madrid vs Manchester City Champions League Semi-final Live" — , May 4, 2016
- Sid Lowe. "Madrid given another derby day as Real match Atlético in Champions League" — , May 4, 2016
- "The only team to have reached the last six Champions League semi-finals" — , April 25, 2016