Pat Robertson endorses Rudy Giuliani for President
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Robertson said that he was supporting the former New York City mayor, despite their disagreements on social issues, because Giuliani was the best hope for the United States against "the blood lust of Islamic terrorists". Robertson said that Giuliani was a "proven leader who is not afraid of what lies ahead, and who will cast a hopeful vision for all Americans." Although Robertson's influence in the religious right is not as strong as it once was, his endorsement is still important to Republican candidates.
Giuliani is pro-choice while Robertson is pro-life. Giuliani also favors extending rights to gays although does not favor allowing gay marriage. Giuliani has had a turbulent family life. Giuliani is on his third marriage and after one divorce was living with two gay roommates. The Religious Right in the United States, including Robertson, often emphasizes what they call traditional family values and frown on divorce and non-standard home arrangements.
The religious right in the United States has been under stress in this election over whom to support. James Dobson, another prominent and controversial evangelical leader has warned that although the Religious Right has for a long time supported the Republican Party, they may vote for a third party candidate if the Republican Party Presidential candidate does not share their views on social issues.
- Katie Thomas. "Experts split on whether pope and Giuliani will meet" — , November 14, 2007
- Joe Mathews. "Pat Robertson endorses Giuliani" — , November 8, 2007
- Michael Cooper and David D. Kirkpatrick. "Pat Robertson Endorses Giuliani" — , November 7, 2007
- David D. Kirkpatrick. "The Evangelical Crackup" — , October 28, 2007
- James Dobson. "The Values Test" — , October 4, 2007