Ousted Honduran president says crisis deal has failed
Friday, November 6, 2009
An aide to ousted Honduran President Manuel Zelaya said that a deal designed to end the country's political crisis has failed, after interim leader Roberto Micheletti announced the formation of a new cabinet.
Micheletti said late on Thursday that he is installing a national unity government without the participation of Zelaya, who has declined to name any cabinet members. The two signed an agreement last week to resolve the four-month political standoff. A new government was set to begin Thursday.
Zelaya warned on Thursday the accord was at risk of collapsing unless the Honduran Congress held a vote to restore him to power immediately to serve out his term that ends in January. Honduras elects a new president on November 29.
Congress must vote on Zelaya's restitution, but has not yet done so. The recently signed pact does not stipulate a deadline for the Congressional vote.
The United States, a major broker in the mediation efforts, said this week the next step in the political crisis is up to Honduras. The governments of several countries have threatened not to recognize the presidential elections if Zelaya is not first returned to power.
- "Ousted Honduran president Zelaya says coup talks suspended" — Wikinews, October 21, 2009
- "Honduran president expelled by army" — Wikinews, June 29, 2009