Open main menu

Non-parole period extended to 43 years for Australian rapist and murderer

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Australian Adrian Ernest Bayley, 43, previously convicted of rape and murder, has been sentenced on Thursday to a further 18 years in prison for three more rapes.

Bayley had already been sentenced to life in prison with a minimum of 35 years, over the 2013 rape and murder of ABC employee Jill Meagher. The additional 18 year sentence means Bayley would not be eligible to apply for parole until the year 2058. He would then be age 86.

The judge presiding over the case, Judge Pullen said, "Your repeated violent offending and gravity of that offending provides little to offer the faintest glimmer of hope", as the sentence was handed down. Senior Crown Prosecutor Peter Rose QC supported the decision made by Judge Pullen saying, "Given the history of the prisoner Bayley, the only finding available to the court is that the prisoner represents a serious danger to the community".

Bayley committed rape and attempted rape at age 19. Later, in 2000, he raped six prostitutes in the Melbourne suburb of Saint Kilda. He was sentenced for these crimes to at least eight years in jail and was on parole in 2012 when he raped a Dutch backpacker and in 2013 raped and murdered Jill Meagher.

During the trial for the 2013 rape and murder of Jill Meagher, Bayley told the court "They should have the death penalty for people like me [...] How many chances does a person need? They should never have let me out."


Sources