Neola North wildfire in Utah blamed for three deaths
Monday, July 2, 2007
A wildfire in the Ashley National Forest has been blamed for three deaths and has led to the evacuation of about 500 residents of the communities of Whiterocks, Farm Creek, Paradise and Tridell in eastern Utah.
To date, the cause of the wildfire is unknown. An early report by public safety officials claimed it was caused by a faulty power line or transformer. However, a later announcement by Moon Lake Electric Association CEO Grant Earl disputed this.
By Saturday morning, the fire had spread across approximately 46 square miles of land and been blamed for three fatalities: George Houston, his son Tracy Houston, and Roger Roberson, all from Farm Creek. Eleven year old Duane Houston, George's grandson, was able to escape the fire with only minor injuries.
The communities of Whiterocks, Farm Creek, Paradise and Tridell, consisting of approximately 500 local residents, were evacuated by Sunday, and at least five homes are known to have been destroyed. Those without family or friends to provide lodging have been relocated to the Ute Indian Tribe's auditorium in Fort Duchesne and Union High School in Roosevelt.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency became involved in the management of fire fighting efforts on Sunday, and a specialized regional wildland fire team, the Rocky Mountain Type One Management Team, had begun to converge on the Uinta Basin to assist with the firefighting, along with about 100 members of the Utah National Guard.
Reports that same day claimed the fire was 5% contained, but that it had split into at least two separate smaller fires. Authorities declared their intention to prevent the fire from moving eastwards into Dry Fork Canyon and the town of Tridell.
- "National Forest Is Closed as Utah Wildfire Spreads" — , July 2, 2007
- "11-year-old flees wildfire; father, grandfather killed" — , July 1, 2007
- "Killer Utah fire still raging" — , July 1, 2007
- John Hollenhorst. "National Guard to Help at Scene of Deadly Wildfire" — , July 1, 2007
- "Update: Out-of-control wildfire kills three" — , June 30, 2007
- "3 dead in Utah wildfire" — , , June 30, 2007
- "Quick-Moving Utah Wildfire Kills 3 Men" — , June 30, 2007