Open main menu

NASCAR driver Labonte terminates deal with TRG Motorsports

Friday, June 25, 2010

On Tuesday, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Bobby Labonte ended his contract with TRG Motorsports because of the possibility of becoming a "start and park" racer because the team could not find sponsorship. Labonte said, "I just don't want to do it, I don't want to do the start and park thing." The move became public earlier this week.

After leaving the team, Labonte will drive for Robby Gordon Motorsports in New Hampshire this weekend, then for Phoenix Racing for the following two events. Robby Gordon said Labonte may be able to race later in the summer, but for now it is a one race only deal. Labonte also stated, "We didn't have the success that we really wanted, and kind of got to the point where Kevin was in a position that he was going to have to do some start and park races".

Gordon hopes to have Labonte in the car for more races, so his team can learn from the former Sprint Cup Series Drivers' Championship winner.


Sources