Messi becomes first player to score 300 goals in La Liga
Saturday, February 20, 2016
FC Barcelona football star Lionel Messi became the first player to score 300 goals in La Liga competitions as he scored a against in an away match at and his tally reached 301 on Wednesday. Barcelona defeated Gijon 3–1 and leads the La Liga table.
Messi scored a long range goal in the 25th minute of the game. He has scored 173 goals at Madrid-based club .and 128 goals in away stadia, most — 21 — against
Eleven years ago on May 1, Messi at the age of 17 scored his first goal against European leagues to score more than 300 goals. Of his 301 goals, he has scored 240 goals with his left foot, 48 with his right, twelve headers, and one with his hand mimicking 's " ".. He reached 100 goals after 154 games. Last season, he broke the record of who scored 251 goals. He became the third player in the top five
The five-timewinner is also the top scorer of the , , and . His team-mate has also scored five goals in the Club World Cup.
Messi had an opportunity to attempt this milestone in the previous La Liga match, where he instead tricked the goalkeeper by passing the ball from the penalty spot, Suárez scoring it against.
- "Messi passes from penalty for Suárez's hat-trick as Barça beats Celta 6-1" — Wikinews, February 16, 2016
- "Barça beat River Plate 3-0 to win third FIFA Club World Cup" — Wikinews, December 20, 2015
- "Suárez scores a hat-trick, Barcelona advances to FIFA Club World Cup 2015 Final" — Wikinews, December 18, 2015
- Patria Pérez, Sonia Almódovar. "Leo Messi breaks the 300 goal barrier in the league" — , February 18, 2016
- Nick Wright. "Watch Lionel Messi's milestone goals as he passes 300 in La Liga" — , February 17, 2016
- Antonio Rusinol. "Lionel Messi is the first player to score 300 goals in La Liga" — , February 17, 2016
- Messi emulates Maradona with 'hand of god' goal" — , June 9, 2007