Man dies in North Uist, Outer Hebrides after being hit by car
Monday, June 10, 2013
A man has died as the result of a road traffic collision on the Outer Hebrides island of . The accident, to which members of the police and ambulance services were called at around 01:46 (0046 ) yesterday, happened on the A865 road between the villages of and Clachan when a black car hit a pedestrian.
A statement fromsaid the fatality, a male aged 33, died at the crash site despite being given medical attention. He has been named as Ivan MacDonald, a resident of , near North Uist. Approximately 200 metres from the incident location is Carinish Hall, where a social event, which the deceased may have attended, was held prior to the crash. A section of the road spanning 400 metres was closed following the accident.
The Island News and Advertiser newspaper reported police saying the road would stay closed until approximately 14:00–15:00 BST (1300–1400 UTC) yesterday at the earliest. The road reopened around 15:20 BST (1420 UTC). A Divisional Road Policing Unit team of investigators from the town ofin the examined the scene during the closure. As no diversions were available for motorists, this closure affected any traffic which had travelled via ferry to in North Uist from on the yesterday. Lines of vehicles in both directions were reportedly left at the scene.
Wikinews has contacted Police Scotland, the, and the to enquire about the incident but has yet to receive any response.
- "A865 Clachan to Carinish Road-Fatal Road Traffic Collision" — , June 10, 2013
- "Update: Road traffic collision on the A865 in North Uist" — , June 9, 2013
- "Man killed by car in island accident" — , June 9, 2013
- Island News and Advertiser. "UPDATE ON ROAD CLOSURE AFETER SERIOUS ACCIDENT AT CARINISH,NORTH UIST" — , June 9, 2013
- Island News and Advertiser. "SERIOUS ROAD ACCIDENT IN NORTH UIST" — , June 9, 2013
- "Road Traffic Collision A865 North Uist" — , June 9, 2013