Judd Gregg withdraws as US Commerce Secretary nominee
Friday, February 13, 2009
Judd Gregg is a currentrepresenting New Hampshire, where he formerly served as . Senator Gregg is also the ranking member of the and a member of the Republican Party. Had he been confirmed, he would have been the second Republican in Obama's cabinet.
In a statement, Gregg thanked the President for the nomination.
"However, it has become apparent during this process that this will not work for me as I have found that on issues such as the stimulus package and the Census there are irresolvable conflicts for me. Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns," Senator Gregg said in his statement.
In an official, stated: "Once it became clear after his nomination that Senator Gregg was not going to be supporting some of President Obama’s key economic priorities, it became necessary for Senator Gregg and the Obama administration to part ways. We regret that he has had a change of heart."
- Press Release: "Statement on Gregg's withdrawal" — , February 12, 2009
- Press Release: "Senator Gregg Statement On His Withdrawal From Consideration Of U.S. Commerce Secretary" — , February 12, 2009
- Chris Cillizza, Anne E. Kornblut and Michael D. Shear. "Gregg Withdraws as Commerce Nominee" — , February 12, 2009
- "Another Obama cabinet pick quits" — , February 12, 2009
- Jeff Zeleny. "Judd Gregg Withdraws as Commerce Nominee" — , February 12, 2009