Journalists in Gaza City injured in Israeli airstrike
Sunday, November 18, 2012
Ashraf al-Qudra, a spokesman for the Ministry of Health in Gaza, stated: "At least six journalists were wounded, with minor and moderate injuries, when Israeli warplanes hit the al-Quds TV office in the Showa and Housari building in the Rimal neighbourhood of Gaza City".
At least three of the journalists work for Al-Quds TV, but it is not yet known what agency the other three may work for. Several foreign journalists have been staying in the Al-Showa building in Gaza which was damaged by the airstrike. Thein Gaza and Al-Quds TV is also based in the media complex.
According to Ma'an, at least one missile struck the building's eleventh floor injuring the journalists. Al-Quds TV offices are located on that floor.
The military wing of Hamas, the Alqassam Brigades, condemned the attack posting a statement on their Twitter account saying, "Israeli IDF is trying to kill the power of word in Gaza, targeting journalism is a war crime and crime against humanity."
The injured were evacuated from the complex which was reportedly hit at least two more times.
- Israeli strike hits Gaza media building, several hurt" — , November 17, 2012. "
- Alqassam Brigades. "Tweet: Alqassam Brigades statement" — , November 17, 2012
- Sameh A. Habeeb. "Breaking News: 5 Journalists injured as Israeli Air force bombarded their offices" — , November 17, 2012
- "Airstrike on Gaza media complex injures 6 journalists" — , November 17, 2012
- Rushdi Abualouf (Tweet: 3 journalists injured" — , November 17, 2012. "