Japanese PM Kishida visits India, discusses business partnership
Sunday, March 20, 2022
The leaders discussed the strategic business partnership between the two countries and international cooperation. This was Kishida's first visit as Prime Minister to India since taking office in October last year.
Kishida announced a5 trillion in public and private investment and financing to India over the next five years. The two also discussed the development in the information and technology sector and welcomed the India-Japan Digital Partnership. They also expressed hopes regarding the .
Both leaders committed to promoting peace and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific of Asia. They called for an immediate suspension of violence in Myanmar and criticised North Korea's attempts to test nuclear-capable ballistic missiles.
The two called for an immediate cessation of violence in the Russian invasion of Ukraine and for Ukraine's sovereignty to be ensured. Both Japan and India agreed to facilitate humanitarian aid to Ukraine. The two countries are members of the (QUAD), a security alliance also made up of Australia and the United States. Of the member nations, only India has not yet condemned the invasion due to their strong ties with Russia.
The two also expressed support for initiating an agreement for the reciprocal provision of supplies and services between the armed forces of the two countries and facilitate multilateral military exercises. Kishida also invited Modi for the upcoming QUAD summit to be held in Japan.
Kishida left India today and is scheduled to meet his Cambodian counterpart .
- Press Release: "India-Japan Summit Joint Statement Partnership for a Peaceful, Stable and Prosperous Post-COVID World" — , March 19, 2022
- "PM Modi holds bilateral talks with Japanese PM Kishida" — , March 19, 2022
- "Japan PM Kishida announces $42 billion investment in India" — , March 19, 2022
- "Japan's Kishida and India's Modi discuss response to Ukraine crisis" — , March 19, 2022
- "Kishida Leaves for India for Talks with Modi" — , March 19, 2022