Israeli Supreme Court overturns expulsion of US student
Saturday, October 20, 2018
On Thursday, the Israeli ruled in favor of Lara Alqasem, a 22-year-old student who appealed an expulsion order, allowing her to remain in the country. She was refused entry upon arrival in Israel on October 2 at and threatened with deportation; Israeli authorities alleged that Alqasem supported a pro-Palestinian boycott against the state. The student was held in custody as she appealed the order.
On entry at Ben Gurion, Alqasem had a valid student visa to enrol in the The New York Times, the student recently served as president to a small chapter of (SJP). Israel enacted a law in 2017 granting the state the authority to deport individuals supporting the movement.. According to reports recounted by
An Israeli lawyer representing the student called the allegation "egregious"; Alqasem studiedin Florida. The Hebrew University asked to join her during the appeal process, in defence of Israel's academic freedom. The director of the university, Barak Medina, stated: "To be clear, we strongly oppose the boycott campaign against Israel, and Israel has to fight it[...] But to deny entry to every person who has expressed support for a boycott is counterproductive".
Alqasem appealed to the Israeli High Court after being rejected by a lower court. The ruling allows her to pursue further education in the country.
- Israeli supreme court overturns ruling barring US student from country" — , October 18, 2018 . "
- Ruth Eglash. "Court permits U.S. student to enter Israel, despite attempt to ban her over BDS ties" — , October 18, 2018
- Isabel Debre (American student fights deportation in Israeli high court" — , October 17, 2018 ). "
- Oliver Holmes. "US student barred from Israel over alleged BDS to fight case in court" — , October 9, 2018
- Isabel Kershner. "U.S. Student, Barred From Israel Over Boycott, Goes to Court" — , October 9, 2018
- Isabel Debre (U.S. student detained at Israeli airport over alleged Palestinian boycott support" — , October 9, 2018