Indonesian government bans pornographic sites
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
The Indonesian Ministry of Communications and Information Technology has announced that the government will be banning pornographic sites in the country. The announcement comes before the Islamic holiday of Ramadan.
The ministry conducted a technical test of the banning program with the six largest internet service providers in Indonesia — Asian country., , , , Bakrie Telecom, and . The ministry is optimistic that their ban will make 80% of pornographic sites inaccessable in the Southeast
The People's Republic of China runs a similar program that blocks pornographic websites.
Communications minister Tifatul Sembiring said that about 200 ISPs in Indonesia had agreed to block the websites. Sembiring also said that ISPs would not suffer any losses by blocking pornographic websites.
He also added that the ministry would adopt the same approach used by, which involves constantly monitoring offensive content which, when discovered, is immediately removed.
- "Tifatul blocks porn sites with holy curtain" — , August 11, 2010
- Arlina Arshad, Agence-France Presse. "Indonesia to crack down on porn over Ramadan" — , August 10, 2010
- Ismira Lutfia, Zaky Pawas, Amir Tejo & Dofa Fasila. "Ban on Porn, Prostitutes, Fireworks Promises a Quiet Start to Ramadan" — , August 10, 2010
- "Kemenkominfo Uji Enam ISP Blokir Situs Porno" — , August 10, 2010
- Dewi Safitri. "Penertiban situs porno di Indonesia" — , August 10, 2010
- Sandy Indra Pratama. "Tidak Blokir Situs Porno, Provider Internet Dicabut Izinnya" — , August 10, 2010
- "Blokir Situs Porno, Indonesia Tak Tiru Konsep China" — , August 10, 2010