India: Maharashtra plastic ban comes into force
Monday, June 25, 2018
The leader of the Twitter, "The ban on single use disposable plastic cups, plastic bags, plastic straws, plastic plates and cutlery, styrofoam cutlery and non woven bags". He added, "these are global issues now and we have taken a step to combat it".political party, , said on
Plastic pollution has led to the choking of drains, marine pollution and a risk of animals consuming plastics. This year, India's motto for World Environment Day — June 5 — was "Beat Plastic Pollution". People violating the plastic ban are to face a fine of 5,000 Indian Rupees (INR) for the first offence. For the second offence, the fine is INR 10,000 and the third time offence is INR 25,000 and a three-month prison term. Deputy municipal commissioner Nidhi Choudhary said, "To weed out corruption, we plan to give inspectors payment gadgets for electronic receipts of the fines".
The Maharashtra government has given a 90-day period for manufacturers to dispose of existing(PET/PETE) plastic spoons and plates, while shopkeepers and citizens in general have six months to dispose of plastics. However, the ban does not prohibit plastic usage for wrapping medicines or milk cartons thicker than 50 s.
The state government had announced the decision for the plastic ban on March 23. According to NDTV's report, Maharashtra is the eighteenth Indian state to enforce a state-wide plastic ban. Aaditya Thackeray also said, "I congratulate the citizens for making this into a movement, even before the ban was enforceable, giving up single use disposable plastic."
- Arun Nair. "Mumbai Residents "Happy" As Maharashtra Plastic Ban Comes Into Effect" — , June 24, 2018
- "Maharashtra plastic ban: What's banned and what's not" — , June 24, 2018
- Sanjana Bhalerao. "Penalties for not following Mumbai plastic ban: Fines up to Rs 25,000, three-month jail" — , June 23, 2018
- Faisal Malik. "Maharashtra plastic ban: Govt refuses to give anymore incentives to manufacturers" — , June 23, 2018
- Alok Deshpande and Tanvi Deshpande. "What is the plastic ban in Maharashtra all about?" — , June 23, 2018
- Saurabh Gupta. "Plastic Ban In Maharashtra, Fine Up to Rs. 25,000 For Repeat Violation" — , June 23, 2018