HMV Canada to finally sell iPods, to avoid fate of Sam's, Music World
Friday, December 7, 2007
HMV Canada President Humphrey Kadaner commented "While the majority of purchased music continues to be in physical form, it's clear the listening experience of many Canadians is evolving to also include portable music and for the majority of those consumers the digital player of choice is the iPod. As the country's leading music retailer, it only makes sense that we provide a full music experience for our customers by selling Canada's leading digital music player."
"Many people think the world of CDs and the world of iPod are incompatible and it just isn't true. Not only are they compatible, they are now cohabitating at many HMV stores across the country. The addition of iPod in HMV stores is another step in HMV's evolution from a music retailer to an entertainment retailer."
In mid-November this year, Canadian chain Music World announced it was closing its stores as of the new year. The franchise has 72 stores across the country, and 648 employees who have been able to keep their jobs during liquidation, which is expected to continue through until Christmas. The store's website now contains nothing but its logo for months.
Previously, the last remaining location of Sam the Record Man closed down, in downtown Toronto. Sam once had 130 stores nationwide, then the record. There is a store in Belleville and Sarnia, once part of the chain, but now simply known as "SAM".
The last American locations of HMV closed in 2004.
- Press Release: HMV Canada. "iPod is making beautiful music at HMV" — , December 3, 2007
- CityNews.ca Staff. "Music World To Close After Declaring Bankruptcy" — , November 12, 2007
- Steven Sandor. "FROM AGING GRAMOPHONES TO SLEEK NEW IPODS" — , December 6, 2007
- Christine Persaud. "HMV Adds iPods" — , December 3, 2007
- Debra Black. "Sam the Record Man finally signs off" — , May 30, 2007
- Press Release: Hmv. "Operating Review" — , December 30, 2006
- Sam the Record Man - Quinte Mall, accessed on December 7, 2007.
- Music World - official website, accessed on December 7, 2007.