Greek police arrest more than 60 people for gold smuggling
Saturday, December 1, 2018
On Wednesday,police announced they arrested 63 people for gold smuggling. According to a report from (AP), police seized cash, gold bars, and other items, totaling about two million (roughly 2.3 million ).
Police said on Friday the police operation, started on Tuesday, involved 50 homes and 30 stores. Police accused the suspects of buying stolen gold from foreigners who allegedly robbed homes.
Police said the scheme had involved at least two collaborating criminal networks over two years or longer. The suspects had allegedly been melting the gold items and exporting the gold tousing tour buses to avoid taxes, and to . The gold was allegedly smuggled through a number of pawn shops, according to AP.
Press reported pawn shops have multiplied in Greece in the financial crisis ongoing there since 2010, which reportedly has caused people to buy an increased amount of gold and silver to store their assets.
- Hellenic Police. "Ελληνική Αστυνομία on Twitter" — , November 30, 2018 ()
- Greek police arrest dozens in gold smuggling network" — , November 28, 2018 . "
- "Nationwide illegal gold trade network dismantled, 59 arrests" — , November 28, 2018
- Hellenic Police. "Ελληνική Αστυνομία on Twitter" — , November 28, 2018 ()
- Hellenic Police. "Δηλώσεις εξάρθρωσης πολυμελών εγκληματικών οργανώσεων, που δραστηριοποιούνταν στο λαθρεμπόριο χρυσού" — , November 28, 2018 ()