French tourists killed in California bus rollover accident
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
On Tuesday afternoon about 3:30 P.M., at the Camphora Gloria Road overpass, the bus rolled, and three or four passengers flew from the bus, over the freeway guardrail to the railway tracks.
Wednesday morning, Maia Carroll, communications coordinator for Monterey County, confirmed that five people had died due to the accident.
First reports indicated it was a multiple vehicle accident, however the reason that the bus went out of control is still under investigation. Three people were declared dead at the scene of the accident and two others died in hospital.
"At this time, it appears to just be a solo-vehicle incident, meaning just the tour bus itself was involved," said(CHP) spokesman Brian Wiest, "It's a tragedy. It's certainly one of worst I've seen in a long time."
The three patients who were the first to arrive at thewere all in a critical condition. Some of the injured were taken to the Lee Memorial Hospital in , other critically injured were being sent to the Bay area. So far eight people have been reported in . At least fifteen ambulances, and seven helicopter ambulances were dispatched to the scene.
A thirteen year old is being treated in Fresno Community Regional Medical Center. Patients are being treated at over eight hospitals in the area.
The CHP closed all lanes of the highway in both directions and reported multiple fatalities.
The tour bus was operated by Orion Pacific Charter Bus Co. and was traveling from San Francisco to . The French tourists involved in the accident arrived on April the 19th to tour California. They were returning to Los Angeles from where they were to continue to France when the accident happened.
The tour bus was bought this year and was made for 56 passengers in total.
This accident occurred just four days after twenty were killed and 21 injured when a tourist bus collided with a truck in south west China on Saturday.
- "UPDATE: CHP reports driver in tour bus crash has died, Hwy. 101 lanes still closed" — , April 29, 2009
- Ari B. Bloomekatz. "Five dead in Monterey County tour bus crash" — , April 29, 2009
- "Overturned Tour Bus Kills at Least Three" — , April 28, 2009
- Rachel Gordon. "Bus crash closes 101, multiple injuries reported" — , April 28, 2009
- "Several killed, dozens hurt in California bus crash" — , April 28, 2009
- "CHP: 'Multiple' deaths in Soledad bus crash" — , April 28, 2009
- "Deaths, many injuries in Calif. tour bus crash At least 10 killed in accident involving multiple vehicles, NBC affiliate says" — , April 28, 2009
- "2 Dead, Dozens Injured In Calif. Tour Bus Crash" — , April 28, 2009
- "At least 20 dead in China tourist bus crash" — , April 26, 2009