Fred Thompson confirms US Presidential bid
Friday, August 31, 2007
Yesterday, Republican Fred Thompson confirmed his campaign for the United States presidential election, 2008. The much expected announcement comes on the tail of criticism about his lobbying past and that he has waited too long to declare his intentions. He is expected to file papers next Thursday to make his candidacy official.
Thompson much expected declarations comes after months of "testing the waters." Already appearing in the top tier of GOP candidates, Thompson's announcement comes after staff changes and lack luster fundraising. According to an advisor, Thompson will make the announcement on Leno opting not to appear at the Republican debate on September 5.
- "Fred Thompson raises $3 million, falls short of $5 million goal" — Wikinews, July 30, 2007
- Meet the press. "'Meet the Press’ transcript for Sept. 2, 2007" — , September 2, 2007
- Tim Shipman. "Thompson's image tarnished by Watergate" — , September 2, 2007
- Michael D. Shear. "Fred Thompson Confirms Bid for GOP Nomination" — , August 31, 2007
- Don Frederick. "Thompson expected to (finally) make it official" — , August 31, 2007