Frankfurt defuses World War II-era bomb, evacuates 60,000
Monday, September 4, 2017
Experts in, defused a -era bomb yesterday, after more than 60,000 people, the most since World War II, evacuated from the area.
The HC 4000, dropped by the 's , was discovered days ago near the campus in a construction site. Fire chiefs warned its reportedly 1.4 tons of explosives could have destroyed an entire city block.
Residents of theneighborhood, including those of two nearby hospitals, were asked to evacuate by 8 a.m. local time (0600 ), though the bomb removal process only began around 2:30 p.m., as the evacuation drew on. Just after 8 a.m., Markus Röck, a spokesman for the Frankfurt fire brigade, said: "The situation is relaxed which is a good sign and everything so far is going according to plan. We will now assess if everybody has left voluntarily and go from house to house and remove people if necessary."
About 1,100 workers assisted with the evacuation, according to the fire brigade, and helicopters and heat-detection technology were used to check everyone within 1.5, about 1 , had left. A convention center and concert hall opened to house people, and at museums and , other activities were offered for free.
When the area near the bomb was evaluated, other parts of the city became more populated. Peter Cachola Schmal, director of the, remarked, "It's a different atmosphere here today, because people are settling for a longer time[...] People are coming here to sit with their laptop and work, for example, or read the newspaper for hours."
Fire brigade director Reinhard Ries said, "the scale of this bomb is overwhelming. I have never seen anything like it."
Likely thousands of unexploded bombs from the era remain across Germany, and reportedly eleven bomb defusal technicians have been killed there since 2000. Devices may become more unstable as time wears on and their fuses age.
- Laura Goehler, Susannah Cullinane and Dakin Andone. "Frankfurt successfully defuses World War II bomb" — , September 3, 2017
- Rebecca Oh. "Experts defuse WWII bomb in Frankfurt after 60,000 ordered to evacuate" — , September 3, 2017
- Tom Sims. "Frankfurt defuses massive WWII bomb after evacuating 60,000" — , September 3, 2017
- Edmund Heaphy. "Frankfurt Evacuates 60,000 People to Defuse World War II Bomb" — , September 3, 2017
- "Frankfurt WW2 bomb defused after mass evacuation" — , September 3, 2017