Five hundred migrants alleged killed in deliberate sinking in Mediterranean
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
In a statement, IOM said, "If this story, which police are investigating, is true, it would be the worst shipwreck in years". The organization added, if the story would be revealed as true it would be "not an accident but a mass murder, perpetrated by criminals without scruples or any respect for human life".
IOM Spokesperson in Sicily told us that there had been at least 500 people on board. Nine other survivors were rescued by and ships, but all the rest appear to have perished".Flavio Di Giacomo told , "Two survivors brought to
According to the two survivors, the boat, which departed on September 6 from Egypt bound for Malta, sank in the Mediterranean Sea last Wednesday when rammed it; drowning the vast majority of its 500 plus passengers, including refugees from Egypt, Sudan, Syria and Palestine. They said the smugglers had become angry when the passengers refused transfer to a smaller vessel that they doubted could carry them.,
The Palestinian ambassador to Malta, Jubran Tawil, said three Palestinians who had been on board the boat have been rescued with aid from Panamanian ships and flown to Malta by a Maltese helicopter together with some of the dead.
According to UN data, this year the number of migrants by sea to Europe exceeds 130,000, up by 50,000 from last year. Many people from North Africa and the Middle East attempt to reach Europe on overcrowded, unsafe boats. Over 2,500 people on this journey have drowned or disappeared this year, 2,200 of them since June.
- "Boat survivors arrive in Malta" — , September 16, 2014
- "Malta boat sinking 'leaves 500 dead' - IOM" — , September 15, 2014
- Peter Walker. "Migrant boat was 'deliberately sunk' in Mediterranean sea, killing 500" — , September 15, 2014