Fatal police helicopter crash in Slovakia due to technical failure: preliminary Interior Ministry finding
Sunday, May 21, 2017
Last week's police helicopter accident in eastern Slovakia was caused by technical failure and not human error, said the Ministry of Interior of the Slovak Republic on Friday. The statement is based on preliminary data analysis. Ministry spokesperson Petar Lazarov confirmed the flight recorder and remains of the helicopter will be sent to the United States for further analysis. Helicopter crash occurred during a training exercise on May 10 shortly before 2:30 PM at near , resulting in deaths of two crewmembers and serious injuries of both pilots.
According to initial reports by the Slovak Police Force, the helicopter spiraled down from a height of about 100 metres and 200 metres away from the point of take-off. Slovak tabloid newspaperwrote that, according to a source from the forensic team that analysed flight recorders data, both rotors failed at the same time.
The accident caused fatal injuries to two Fire and Rescue Corps firefighters, First Lieutenant ((sk))Slovak language: nadporučík Peter Toďor, born 1974, and Lieutenant Colonel ((sk))Slovak language: podplukovník Radoslav Lacko, born 1968. According to reports, one died on the site, and one in the Louis Pasteur University Hospital in Košice. "The patient suffered serious head and chest injuries. Our doctors resuscitated him for about 50 minutes. Ultimately, he died of his injuries," said hospital spokesperson Ivana Stašková. Both firefighters were buried on May 16. The helicopter pilots were hospitalized with serious injuries in the Ján Adam Reiman Teaching Hospital with Polyclinic in Prešov. While one of them was stabilized and conscious already on May 10, suffering from right femoral fracture, right rib and facial bone fracture, the second one is still in serious condition at the Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Medicine, said hospital spokesperson Renáta Cenková.
Thehelicopter, registration OM-BYM, was made in 2014 and commissioned by the Aviation Department of the Ministry of Interior on August 17, 2015. The Aviation Department later commissioned another Bell 429 helicopter, registration OM-BYD. According to , the primary purpose of both these helicopters was to be "border protection, search and rescue, natural disaster relief missions and road traffic law enforcement".
Bell Helicopter reacted on the incident, expressing condolences and willingness to assist with the investigation. Members of thestarted their late-afternoon session on May 10 with a minute of silence for the victims of the crash. Other government officials expressed their condolences as well, including the President , the Prime Minister , and the Mayor of Prešov Andrea Turčanová.
This accident was not the first Bell 429 helicopter crash in Slovakia. On September 7 of last year, anrescue helicopter crashed near Banská Bystrica, killing all three crewmen and a patient aboard. Investigation is still in progress and no preliminary results are known.
- "Čierne skrinky ukázali príčinu pádu vrtuľníka v Prešove" — , May 19, 2017 ()
- Ján Petrovič, Ján Debnár. "Čo spôsobilo pád policajného vrtuľníka? Prvé závery vyšetrovateľov" — , May 19, 2017 ()
- Pri páde vrtuľníka nezlyhal pilot, ale technika" — , May 19, 2017 (). "
- "VIEME PRVÍ Tragédia objasnená: Šokujúca príčina pádu policajného vrtuľníka!" — , May 19, 2017 ()
- "Bell 429 Global Ranger" — , May 15, 2017
- Fire and Rescue Corps. "Hasičský a záchranný zbor stratil dvoch profesionálnych hasičov" — , May 11, 2017 ()
- "N538AK OM-BYM Bell 429 C/N 57202" — , [May 2017]
- "Crash of police helicopter claims two lives" — , May 10, 2017
- Dominik Hutko. "V Prešove sa zrútil policajný vrtuľník, zahynuli dvaja hasiči" — , May 10, 2017 ()
- Martin Belej, Michal Lendel. "Pri havárii vrtuľníka zahynuli dvaja prešovskí hasiči" — , May 10, 2017 ()
- "ONLINE: Pri Prešove sa zrútil policajný vrtuľník, hlásia dvoch mŕtvych" — , May 10, 2017 ()
- Robert Fico. "Veľmi ma mrzí strata dvoch mimoriadne skúsených hasičských záchranárov" — , May 10, 2017 ()
- Andrej Kiska. "OBROVSKÁ TRAGÉDIA" — , May 10, 2017 ()
- Polícia Slovenskej republiky. "MIMORIADNA SPRÁVA: PADOL POLICAJNÝ VRTUĽNÍK" — , May 10, 2017 ()
- Tatiana Jancarikova, Larry King. "Slovak rescue helicopter crashes, four dead" — , September 8, 2016
- "First Bell 429 Delivered to Slovakian Police Force" — , September 1, 2015