FIFA World Cup 2018 Last 16: Brazil, Belgium advance at expense of Mexico, Japan
Thursday, July 5, 2018
Brazil vs Mexico
In the second half, Brazil opened the scoring in the 51st minute when Neymar scored a close-range shot from South Americans won the match 2–0.'s assist. and had their attempts for equalising for Mexico but were unsuccessful. was substituted out in the 60th minute. Brazil made two substitutions in the final ten minutes of the 90-minute game, as and were substituted in for and Coutinho. In the 88th minute, just two minutes after coming on the field, Firmino scored a goal, doubling the lead for Brazil. The
After the match, Mexico's coachsaid, "Being able to play at such a level with a team like Brazil, it shows Mexico is a good team. We just didn't have that extra quality they had in front of goal. We were able to play a balanced game and it says a lot about us and our style. We need to keep developing and we hope our players will come and play in Europe so they can play every weekend against the best clubs in the world, and then our national team will improve."
Belgium v Japan
Belgium faced Japan at the Asian team left in the tournament. In the first ten minutes, Japan's and missed their attempts for goals. Belgium's Axel Witsel, Romelu Lukaku, , Eden Hazard and had attempts to put Belgium in lead but both the sides remained goalless in the first half.. Belgium had greater ball possession versus Japan, who were the only
Three minutes in the second half, Yannick Carrasco was replaced by . Four minutes later, scored the first goal for Belgium. Fellaini scored an equaliser in the 74th minute from Hazard's assist. In the injury time, Chadli added the third goal from Thomas Meunier's assist which proved to be the match-winning goal.opened the scoring for Japan, from 's assist. Four minutes later, scored from Kagawa's assist doubling the lead for Japan. In the 65th minute,
After the match, Japan's coach
|July 2, 2018|
Referee: ( )
|Neymar Jr 51'
|0–0 (HT)|| 38' |
|July 2, 2018|
|Belgium||3–2||Japan||Russia, , |
Referee: ( )
|0–0 (HT)|| 48' |
- Giancarlo Giampietro and Martin Langer. "2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - Matches - Brazil - Mexico" — , July 2, 2018
- Brazil v Mexico - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - Match 53" — , July 2, 2018. "
- Patrick Jennings. "World Cup 2018: Brazil beat Mexico 2-0 to reach quarter-finals" — , July 2, 2018
- Simon Massart and hidetoshi Suziki. "2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - Matches - Belgium - Japan" — , July 2, 2018
- Belgium v Japan - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - Match 54" — , July 2, 2018. "
- Emlyn Begley. "World Cup 2018: Belgium stun Japan to reach quarters" — , July 2, 2018