English football: Arsenal appoints Unai Emery as new manager
Thursday, May 24, 2018
Via their official website yesterday, English football club Arsenal FC announced as their new manager. In April, Arsenal announced their long-serving manager, Arsène Wenger, was to depart from Arsenal at the end of the season, after almost 22 seasons as manager of the London-based club.
Arsenal's chief executive Ivan Gazidis said, "Unai has an outstanding track record of success throughout his career, has developed some of the best young talent in Europe and plays an exciting, progressive style of football that fits Arsenal perfectly".
46-year-old Unai Emery spent the last two seasons managing French club Paris Saint-Germain, winning , as well as the French league title during his tenure at the French capital club. Before moving to France, the Spanish manager managed for three seasons, winning three consecutive titles. Emery did not sign a contract-extension with Paris and was succeeded by former Borussia Dortmund manager .
Arsenal finished sixth in the Premier League, this season; lowest ever since Wenger took on the management role in 1996. They lost to Atlético Madrid in the Europa League semi-finals this season and missed UEFA Champions League qualification for the second consecutive season. The Londoners have not won the league since 2004.
After signing the contract extension, Emery said, "I'm very excited to be given the responsibility to start this important new chapter in Arsenal's history." Chief executive Gazidis said the club made a "unanimous" decision to appoint the Spaniard.
- "English football: Arsène Wenger to leave Arsenal at season end" — Wikinews, April 23, 2018
- "Borussia Dortmund announces former Ajax coach Peter Bosz as team's new boss" — Wikinews, June 9, 2017
- "Sevilla wins third consecutive Europa League title, beating Liverpool 3-1" — Wikinews, May 19, 2016
- "Arsenal appoint Unai Emery as head coach to replace Arsene Wenger" — , May 23, 2018
- John Weaver for AFP. "Emery promises 'new future' for Arsenal" — , May 23, 2018
- "Welcome Unai" — , May 23, 2018