Egypt opens Rafah border crossing sporadically during Gaza crisis
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
For the last few days,has sporadically opened and closed the with the .
On Thursday, Egypt opened the Rafah Border Crossing for a limited time to transfer only 11 wounded, out of dozens of Gaza residents injured during the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which has intensified significantly lately. The 11 wounded were to be sent for medical treatment in several hospitals,'s Governor Abdel Fatah Harhor told news agency. On Friday, the crossing closed again, and then opened Saturday for food and medical supplies to be transported into Gaza. Monday, pilgrims were allowed to cross into Egypt, so they will be able to travel to to fulfil traditions.
"What is happening in Gaza is disgusting", MENA quoted Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesman Badr Abdelatty, "has to stop its assault on Gaza."
during his tenure as President of Egypt strengthened the connection between Egypt and the Gaza Strip. At the end of 2012, his government aided the coordination between the two sides and advanced a peace. Since the removal of president Morsi by the military and election of the current president, , the Egyptian army has destroyed tunnels that had been dug between Gaza and , through which resources had been smuggled.
- "Rafah crossing opened for Gaza pilgrims" — , July 14, 2014
- "Egypt opens Rafah crossing in 1 direction for Gaza critical injuries" — , July 12, 2014
- "Cairo opens Rafah crossing as Egyptians protest Israeli attacks on Gaza" — , July 12, 2014
- "Egypt exceptionally opens Rafah crossing border Saturday" — , July 12, 2014
- "Egypt closes Rafah crossing again as Israeli strikes continue on Gaza" — , July 11, 2014
- Amro Hassan. "Egypt opens Rafah crossing so wounded Gazans can seek medical care" — , July 10, 2014