Cyclist Sean Finning last competitor named to Australia's 2012 Paralympic team
Friday, August 3, 2012
Yesterday, the Australian finalized the country's Paralympic team by naming 2006 Commonwealth Games gold medalist and sighted guide cyclist Sean Finning to the team. Finning will be compete in the men's tandem track and road events where he will serve as 's pilot.
Finning was not originally to be on the team, and is a last-minute replacement forwho found himself unable to acquire a visa to compete at the Games because of a criminal conviction on his record.
The pairing is not a new one, as the duo had competed together at the 2010 Road World Cup and 2011 UCI Para-Cycling Track World Championships. Finning had stepped away from tandem cycling for a while in order to pursue his own individual cycling ambitions, which saw him compete in February at the Ararat Classic Track Carnival and in March at the Bendigo International Madison and the Oceania championships in New Zealand.
Finning and Bryce's 2012 Paralympic campaign gets underway on August 30 at the Velodrome for track events and September 4 at Brand’s Hatch for road events.
- "Wikinews interviews Australian Gliders Leanne Del Toso, Sarah Vinci, Amber Merritt, Clare Nott" — Wikinews, July 22, 2012
- "Non-sponsors' logos plastered by peeved Paralympians" — Wikinews, June 9, 2012
- "2012 Australian Paralympic swim team announced" — Wikinews, July 20, 2012
- Canterbury riders celebrate winning double" — , March 19, 2012. "
- "Great day for locals" — , March 2, 2012
- Nathan Dole. "Top guns back on track to chase Bendigo International Madison glory Save" — , February 21, 2012