Colombian police rescue kidnapped 2-month old baby
Friday, September 15, 2006
The baby girl, Maribel Muñoz, was taken by a woman who told her parents, Zenaida Muñoz and Henry López Romero that she belonged to an NGO and could get medical care for the girl inside Hotel Tequendama. The parents, who are displaced people, went to Caracol TV network in order to report the kidnapping.
Surveillance recordings from the hotel and the city's bus terminal helped with the search. The woman, described as in her late twenties, of height 1.65 m, and having black hair and almond-shaped eyes, left the hotel with two men and went to the local bus terminal. On Thursday, a taxi driver told the media that the day before, he had driven a woman with those features to Cedritos, a neighbourhood in northeast Bogotá.
Finally, on Thursday night, the kidnapper, Esmeralda Echeverri Castaño, was taken into custody in Cali. She confessed that she had abandoned the baby in a hotel in Armenia, where Maribel was finally found and moved to a hospital. The doctors found the baby to be in good health.
Maribel's parents, who live in a modest house in Usme, south Bogotá, recognized the baby on Friday early morning, thanks to a digital picture sent from Armenia to the police in Bogotá. The child was returned to her parents at 11:30 a.m. (16:30 UTC) on Friday.
- Nestor Julio González. "Policía capturó a mujer que robó bebé a desplazados en Bogotá" — , September 15, 2006
- "A sus padres en Bogotá, será entregada la bebé de dos meses raptada el domingo" — , September 15, 2006
- "Apareció bebé raptada en Bogotá" — , September 15, 2006
- "Rescatan a la bebé, secuestrada en el centro de Bogotá" — , September 15, 2006
- "Son tres los presuntos ladrones de bebé en Bogotá" — , September 13, 2006
- "Desplazados denuncian rapto de su hija" — , September 12, 2006
|This page has been automatically archived by a robot, and is no longer publicly editable.|