Colleges offering admission to displaced New Orleans graduate students

See the discussion page for instructions on adding schools to this list.Tuesday, September 13, 2005

NAICU has created a list of colleges and universities accepting and/or offering assistance to displace faculty members. [1]Wednesday, September 7, 2005

This list is taken from Colleges offering admission to displaced New Orleans students, and is intended to make searching easier for faculty, graduate, and professional students.

In addition to the list below, the Association of American Law Schools has compiled a list of law schools offering assistance to displaced students. [2] As conditions vary by college, interested parties should contact the Office of Admissions at the school in question for specific requirements and up-to-date details.

The Association of American Medical Colleges is coordinating alternatives for medical students and residents displaced by Hurricane Katrina. [3] is acting as a central interactive hub for establishing research support in times of emergency. With so many scientists affected by Hurricane Katrina, ResCross is currently focused on providing information to identify sources of emergency support as quickly as possible. [4]

With so many scientists affected by Hurricane Katrina, ResCross is currently focused on providing information to identify sources of emergency support as quickly as possible.

Physics undergraduates, grad students, faculty and high school teachers can be matched up with housing and jobs at universities, schools and industry. [5] From the American Association of Physics Teachers, the Society of Physics Students, the American Institute of Physics and the American Physical Society.

If you are seeking or providing assistance, please use this site to find information on research support, available lab space/supplies, resources, guidelines and most importantly to communicate with fellow researchers.

The following is a partial list, sorted by location.

Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | District of Columbia | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming | Canada


  • University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa, AL) - Extended the registration period for college students from New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast area who want to enroll at UA for fall semester. Also opened invitations to 25 second- and third-year law students at Tulane and Loyola for visiting student status with tuition waived for at least the fall semester. [6], [7], and Campus News Article



  • Midwestern University (Downers Grove, IL) - "Students as well as medical residents and interns are welcome to either audit or enroll in classes in osteopathic medicine, podiatric medicine, pharmacy, physician assistant studies, physical therapy, occupational therapy, biomedical sciences, clinical psychology, graduate education, cardiovascular science, and nurse anesthesia at MWU's Downers Grove (IL) and Glendale (AZ) campuses." For information, contact Karen Johnson at 630-515-7333 or at [8]
  • Ottawa University - "Ottawa University (KS)(AZ)(WI)(IN), with a residential campus in Ottawa, Kansas, and adult campuses in Overland Park, Kansas; Phoenix, Mesa, and Tempe, Arizona; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and Jeffersonville, Indiana, will accept students who have been relocated by Hurricane Katrina. All OU locations are offering a tuition waiver for the first term to assist traditional age and adult students with their academic needs." Contact Susan Backofen at or 1-800-755-5200 ext. 1044 for more information. [9]



  • Alliant International University (campuses statewide, CA) - "Alliant will accommodate undergraduates seeking to enroll for the fall semester as well as the upcoming spring semester if needed, has dormitory space available at its San Diego location, and will work one-on-one with students to assist them in getting settled and enrolling in classes in which space is available.... Graduate students seeking to continue their studies during their schools' temporary closure should contact Alliant for more information on the options available in their fields of study. The university can accommodate some students in graduate programs in business, psychology, education, and international relations at its San Diego, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Fresno, Irvine, and Sacramento locations, or at its Mexico City campus." For more information, contact Susan Topham at, or at 858-635-4885. [10]
  • Azusa Pacific University (Azusa, CA) - Offers tuition-free enrollment to displaced students at all levels, undergraduate and graduate. Campus housing is available for undergraduate students. APU will assist graduate and adult students in locating suitable housing. For more information, contact Deana Porterfield at 626-812-3015 or at [11]
  • Fielding Graduate University (Santa Barbara, CA) - " Fielding Graduate University (CA) would like to be of assistance to doctoral and master's students displaced by Hurricane Katrina. We are willing to work with students to design individual learning plans to continue their doctoral studies. We also offer online master's degrees in organizational management and organization development and are willing to open these to additional students as our resources allow. Please contact Anna DiStefano, Provost, at" [12]
  • Hope International University (Fullerton, CA) - "Displaced students from areas affected by hurricane Katrina are eligible to enroll for courses within the Hope International University (CA) Graduate School, effective immediately." Fee waiver. For more information, call Graduate Admissions at 1-800-762-1294 ext. 2244 or e-mail [13]
  • Pepperdine University (Malibu, CA) - "Pepperdine has created a special Student Assistance Program for the fall 2005 term. The number of students qualified and accepted by Seaver College and each of Pepperdine's graduate schools is being determined by each of Pepperdine's deans." Pepperdine will also be welcoming displaced law students from areas affected by Hurricane Katrina. For more information, contact the appropriate dean of each college and professional school. [14]
  • Stanford University (Stanford, CA) - Will admit up to 5 third-year law students to the Stanford Law School. For undergraduate students who are admitted to universities that have closed because of Hurricane Katrina: Stanford will be admitting academically qualified students from these universities as non-matriculated students for the fall quarter, which starts on September 26 and ends on December 16. Students should note that most schools are on the semester system, while Stanford uses the quarter system. The home university will decide how to credit these courses toward their degrees...Preference will be given to students from the San Francisco Bay Area...Stanford will provide housing on campus for students who are accepted. - [15]
  • University of California, Davis (Davis, CA) - "Our Undergraduate Admissions Office has received 23 inquiries to date from freshman and transfer students unable to continue their educations in the hurricane-affected areas. As Undergraduate Admissions Director Pam Burnett indicates, we want to open our arms and our doors to these students. Students admitted under these very stressful circumstances will likely need an extra dose of the patience and understanding that characterize the UC Davis family. Thank you for being especially attentive to these students’ needs. While our Graduate Studies Office hasn’t yet received such inquiries, it is standing ready to process late admissions for hurricane-displaced students. Our UC Davis Health System is working with national leadership organizations to determine if we can help by accepting medical student transfers or reassigned medical residents from schools in the impacted areas...Similarly, our School of Veterinary Medicine has also been in touch with NIH and with the Primate Center in Louisiana and is working with the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges to find ways to provide support...Our law school has received at least 10 inquiries from current Tulane University law students, and our Graduate School of Management is prepared to assist business students from the stricken Gulf Coast areas...We’re also considering how we might make library and research resources available to affected faculty." [16]
  • University of California, Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA) - "We are also concerned about college students in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama whose schools are unable to open for fall classes. In the hope that we can provide some relief to the students and their colleges, UCLA will welcome displaced students to our regular courses through UCLA Extension for the quarter beginning September 24. Through our concurrent enrollment program, students can complete coursework at UCLA to submit for credit at their home institutions. Academic counselors will be available to guide students in selecting courses suitable to their fields of study and to their level of academic preparation. UCLA Extension is working to determine how many students it can accommodate, and UCLA campus housing is assessing the number of spaces available in the residence halls. Details will be posted at and at as they become available. For immediate inquiries, please contact UCLA Extension at (310) 206-6201. The UCLA School of Law also is enrolling as visiting students a limited number of second- and third-year law students from Tulane and Loyola University New Orleans for the fall semester and possibly longer, if needed." [17]
  • University of California, San Diego (San Diego, CA) - In response to the devastation occurring in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi, the University of California, San Diego has devised academic accommodations for those affected students who are UCSD related or reside in the San Diego region and need alternatives for proceeding with their education. These include: a). For students who did not accept their admission to UCSD and who cannot attend a college as a result of the hurricane, UCSD will provide late enrollment into the regular undergraduate program. b). For both undergraduate and graduate San Diego area students who were not admitted to UCSD and who cannot attend a college which has been closed because of the effects of the hurricane, UCSD will try to accommodate their educational needs through concurrent enrollment with University Extension. c). For enrolled UCSD students who may be directly affected by the hurricane to the extent that they cannot continue their enrollment, UCSD will grant leaves of absences or delayed admissions for up to one year. d). UCSD School of Medicine will offer to provide rotations for senior medical students affected by Hurricane Katrina, and the School of Medicine is checking to see what placements might be available for residents and fellows. [18]
  • University of San Diego (San Diego, CA) - Will accept students from Loyola University, Tulane University, and Xavier University that are from San Diego County or Imperial County on a temporary basis. They will pay San Diego University, but the school will forward the money to their original school. They must be in good academic standing for the fall semester that started on 9/1/05. They would then transfer back spring '06 or fall '06. The School of Law plans to accept a limited number of third year law students, so that they will stay on schedule for the bar exam. [19]
  • University of the Pacific (Stockton, Sacremento, San Francisco, CA) - " University of the Pacific (CA) announced today that its main campus in Stockton, California, and its law school in Sacramento will accept students displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Pacific will waive charges for the fall semester and help students with housing and academic needs." [20]
  • University of California, Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) - "Hurricane Katrina: 20 Tulane Law Students Start Classes at Boalt [the University of California, Berkeley School of law]- Displaced students from Tulane Law School began attending classes at Boalt Hall this week. In the wake of Hurricane Katrina and with the news that Tulane would remain closed for at least the fall semester, Boalt joined other U.S. law schools in stepping forward to offer assistance to the students facing uncertainty about the upcoming semester. "So many have worked hard in the past few days to find all the pieces and put them together—it is quite a testament to the Boalt community," Dean Christopher Edley said, of the collaborative effort required to bring the students to Boalt on such short notice."



  • University of Connecticut (Storrs, CT) - The University of Connecticut is offering students from Connecticut enrolled in colleges devastated by Hurricane Katrina the chance to study at UConn for the fall semester, and is waiving all tuition-related charges. The offer applies to students who wish to attend any campus of UConn and up to 20 students from Tulane or Loyola law schools in New Orleans who wish to study at the UConn School of Law in Hartford.[21]
    • University of Connecticut School of Law (Hartford, CT) - "The University of Connecticut School of Law will accept up to 20 students (day 1L, 2L, or 3L and evening 2L, 3L & 4L) from Tulane or Loyola, New Orleans law schools as transient or visiting students for the fall semester, 2005. We will give a preference to students from Connecticut, and New England compact states (Massachusetts, Vermont, and Rhode Island, & New Hampshire). We will not charge tuition or fees on condition that the students have paid or are paying tuition to their home schools. Students will be eligible for all services, including career planning. At this time, we anticipate that grades will be on a pass-fail basis." For more information, contact Associate Dean Ellen Rutt at immediately, before September 8, 2005. [22]
  • Yale University (New Haven, CT) - "Yale College will admit approximately 25 students whose schools have closed. Tuition will be waived for all students and their credit will transfer back to their institutions. The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, the Law School, the School of Management, and the School of Drama also will accommodate dislocated students under special arrangements. The School of Medicine is accepting Tulane University medical students who need placement in clinical rotations." [23]


District of Columbia

  • American University (Washington, DC) - "Students from the affected areas who are interested in attending American University on a space available basis should contact the Office of Admissions (202-885-6000), which will direct the inquiry to the appropriate department. Law school inquiries may be directed to the WCL admissions office (202-274-4101) or by e-mail." [24]
  • The George Washington University (Washington, DC) - is accepting displaced students as non-degree students with limited housing available. Graduate students are advised to contact the appropriate GW department or program regarding course selection and availability." [25]
  • George Washington University Law School (Washington, DC) - "The George Washington University Law School will admit up to 20 upperclassman students for the current fall semester from Tulane University and Loyola University Law Schools." [26]
  • George Washington University Medical Center (Washington, DC) - "The GW School of Public Health and Health Services will welcome public health students from Tulane University and will coordinate appropriate arrangements for their public health studies. For further information contact Jane Smith at 202-994-0248." [27]
  • Georgetown University Law Center will take up to 25 law students - [28]
  • Smithsonian Museum (Washington, DC) - " The Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History is immediately offering internships for the fall 2005 semester to university students and faculty who have been displaced by the effects of Hurricane Katrina." [29]


  • Jacksonville University (Jacksonville, FL) - "is opening its doors to students displaced by Hurricane Katrina, and will waive fall semester tuition for those displaced students who have already paid full tuition at their home institution. Displaced students may also be eligible to enroll in JU's Adult Degree Program, which holds classes on evenings and weekends. The next ADP term begins Oct. 16." For more information, call admissions at 904-256-7000 or at 1-800-225-2027. [30]
  • Nova Southeastern University (Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FL) - The College of Arts and Sciences is accepting displaced students through October 19 for the school's second term. Graduate programs available on a case-by-case basis. For more information, contact Don Rosenblum at 1-800-338-4723 ext. 8408 or at 954-262-8408, or e-mail [31]
  • Rollins College (Winter Park, FL) - Offers enrollment to displaced students, accepting applications until noon on September 6, 2005, EST. The admissions office is open Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, contact Connie Holt at 407-646-2232. The Rollins College Crummer Graduate School of Business is accepting students enrolled to being an MBA program at affected areas. For more information, contact Jacqueline Brito at 407-628-6320. [32]
  • University of Florida (Gainesville, FL) - offers correspondence courses to students affected by Katrina, and is also offering limited campus acceptance to non-degree students in Engineering, Law, Pharmacy, Medicine, Business Administration and Ag Science. [33]


  • Emory University (Atlanta, GA) - "Although most of our academic divisions are more than fully subscribed, we will enroll as transient students for the fall semester about 100 undergraduate students in Emory College, the School of Nursing, and the Business School. Enrolling these students in temporary status, rather than as transfers, protects the future viability of the institutions in which the students are currently enrolled. In response to the deans of Tulane Law School and Loyola (New Orleans) Law School, Emory Law School will admit some 40 second- and third-year students from those two schools as transient students. The Goizueta Business School MBA program has offered to enroll 30 to 40 second-year MBA students. The Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing also is accepting transient applications for graduate programs. Faculty and staff from the Rollins School of Public Health are working closely with the Tulane School of Public Health to address the academic needs of approximately three dozen international students evacuated from New Orleans to Atlanta. The Emory Libraries are offering to all faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students at institutions affected by Hurricane Katrina borrowing privileges, interlibrary loan privileges, and access to the Information Commons (databases) in Woodruff."[34]
  • Georgia Institute of Technology (Atlanta, GA) - Tech is opening its undergraduate and graduate admissions process to students from universities that have been closed due to the hurricane and associated flood waters. All requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis through Thursday, September 8. Admissions will be granted for one semester only. Undergraduate Admission 404-894-4154 or Graduate applicants should contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at 404-894-1610. Georgia Tech does not currently have space available in its residence halls and will be referring new students admitted under this policy to other housing options. [35] [36]




  • Federation of Independent Illinois Colleges and Universities (State wide, IL) - "Illinois’ private colleges and universities are using all available resources to open their dorms, classrooms and campuses to displaced college students (undergraduate and graduate) and other victims of Hurricane Katrina. As of September 8, the Federation of Independent Illinois Colleges and Universities estimates that more than 1,000 displaced or affected students will respond to offers from Illinois private institutions and enroll here for the fall semester." Visit each school's Web site for specific special enrollment information, or for a COLLECTIVE LIST established by the Illinois Board of Higher Education, visit this link. [37]
  • Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago, IL) - "IIT as an institution will do everything possible to accommodate students from schools in the affected areas. If you are a student at a university affected by Hurricane Katrina and are interested in transferring to IIT please contact Undergraduate Admission at 312.567.3025, or Graduate Admission at 312.567.3020." [38]
  • Loyola University (Chicago, IL) - Offered expedited admission for victims attending Loyola University New Orleans or Tulane University, fellow members of the AJCU. Class registration and other admission issues will be expedited. Limited campus housing will be available. Loyola's graduate and professional schools will expedite class registration and other admission issues. [39]
  • Monmouth College (Monmouth, IL) - "Students who are enrolled at an institution closed by the hurricane may apply for admission as visiting students, while displaced faculty may apply for consideration as short-term visiting scholars. Displaced faculty interested in becoming visiting scholars at Monmouth may request campus housing, a travel stipend, access to academic and recreational facilities, and an opportunity to lead campus discussions in either their areas of academic interest or on issues related to the hurricane and its aftermath. Visiting scholar appointments may range from several weeks to the entire semester. Inquiries should be addressed to Professor Marta Tucker at" [40]
  • Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) - classes do not start until September 20th, making it a good choice for those who are displaced. "Northwestern University will offer students enrolled at colleges and universities in hurricane-stricken areas the opportunity to take classes at Northwestern this fall as visiting students. Northwestern will waive tuition for those students, allowing tuition revenues to continue to go to those students "home" institutions. The application deadline for those students will be extended to Sept. 15. Students seeking to enroll in the emergency visiting student program should contact Lesley Todd at the School of Continuing Studies at 847-491-5251, by e-mail at or go to Northwestern's Graduate School will attempt to accommodate any master's or doctoral degree-seeking student from a New Orleans-area university who wishes to be a visiting student at Northwestern for the fall term. Emergency visiting students in the Graduate School also will not be charged tuition for their studies. Graduate students from the New Orleans area who may have an interest in studying at Northwestern University for the fall term should contact Associate Dean Simon Greenwold at or 847/467-1829. [41]
  • Southern Illinois University at Carbondale (Carbondale, IL) - "opens its doors to undergraduate and graduate students attending Gulf Coast universities disrupted by Hurricane Katrina." For information, contact Jim Carl at undergraduate admissions at 618-453-2961 or at Please specify that you are affected by Hurricane Katrina. [42]
  • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL) - Office of Admissions and Records 217-333-0302. Financial aid 217-333-0100. Loyola is able to accommodate up to 40 students, and is exploring ways to accommodate displaced faculty and graduate students [43]


  • Ball State University (Muncie, IN) - BSU opens its door to displaced university students. Limited housing available. Immediate response desired. Undergraduate students should call the office of admissions at 1-800-482-4278. Graduate students should call 1-800-382-8540 or 866-285-4723. [44]
  • Depauw University (Greencastle, IN) - DePauw is also examining the possibility of hosting faculty colleagues who need places to work. Abraham says the visitors might come here to teach part-time or simply have offices where they can recover their notes and prepare for their classes for when their institutions reopen." [45]
  • Indiana State University (Terre Haute, IN) - Offers enrollment at in-state tuition rate for both undergraduate and graduate students. "A letter of admission or registration from any impacted college or university will be accepted for admission to Indiana State." Call 1-800-GO-TO-ISU for general information. [46]
  • Ottawa University - "Ottawa University (KS)(AZ)(WI)(IN), with a residential campus in Ottawa, Kansas, and adult campuses in Overland Park, Kansas; Phoenix, Mesa, and Tempe, Arizona; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and Jeffersonville, Indiana, will accept students who have been relocated by Hurricane Katrina. All OU locations are offering a tuition waiver for the first term to assist traditional age and adult students with their academic needs." Contact Susan Backofen at or 1-800-755-5200 ext. 1044 for more information. [47]
  • University of Southern Indiana (Evansville, IN) - Extends tuition-free enrollment to displaced students, both undergraduate and graduate students, through September 7, 2005. For information, call 812-480-0097. [48]
  • Valparaiso University (Valparaiso, IN) - University personnel stand ready to assist any college students from the affected areas who may wish to enroll elsewhere while their home institutions are preparing to reopen. Contact: 1-888-GO-VALPO. Also accepting law students. [49]


  • Drake University (Des Moines, IA) - Drake "is accepting applications for visiting student status from undergraduate and graduate students whose institutions have been affected by Hurricane Katrina. Applicants must meet the University’s criteria for admission." Call immediate at 1-800-44-DRAKE or 515-271-3181. [50]
  • University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA) - The University of Iowa Office of Admissions has had contact with about 16 students from colleges in the region devastated by Hurricane Katrina and could enroll up to 75 transfer students this semester, UI Executive Vice President and Provost Michael Hogan said...Hogan said registration deadlines will be waived for students transferring from colleges and universities devastated by Hurricane Katrina. The UI will assist them in arranging financial aid and local housing, either in residence halls or off campus. Administrators in the UI's Henry B. Tippie College of Business and the College of Law have alerted colleagues at several institutions, including Loyola, Tulane University, Southern University, and Dillard University, that the UI is prepared to accommodate students displaced from professional schools in the affected region. Graduate College Dean John Keller is working to accommodate graduate students. College of Public Health Dean James Merchant has already heard from some Tulane students and is prepared to assist others.


  • Ottawa University - "Ottawa University (KS)(AZ)(WI)(IN), with a residential campus in Ottawa, Kansas, and adult campuses in Overland Park, Kansas; Phoenix, Mesa, and Tempe, Arizona; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and Jeffersonville, Indiana, will accept students who have been relocated by Hurricane Katrina. All OU locations are offering a tuition waiver for the first term to assist traditional age and adult students with their academic needs." Contact Susan Backofen at or 1-800-755-5200 ext. 1044 for more information. [51]



  • Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge, LA) - LSU is allowing those students stranded by Hurricane Katrina to apply for the current fall semester. In order to admit these students in time, all undergraduate student applicants must apply in person at 110 Thomas Boyd Hall and all graduate student applicants must apply in 114 David Boyd Hall on the LSU campus. A valid college ID from a hurricane-affected university is required. Subject to the availability of classroom space, LSU will be accepting applications through Friday, September 9. LSU is waiving all application and late fees for all students affected. If a displaced student has already paid tuition to their school, the tuition paid will be transferred to LSU. No further tuition payment will be required, even if the previous tuition paid was less than LSU’s tuition. All TOPS scholarship funds will transfer to LSU. LSU is allowing those students stranded by Hurricane Katrina to apply for the current fall semester. In order to admit these students in time, all graduate student applicants must apply in person at 114 David Boyd Hall on the LSU campus. A valid college ID from a hurricane-affected university is required. Subject to the availability of classroom space, the Graduate School will be accepting applications from Tuesday, September 6, to Friday, September 9 from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. [52]
  • McNeese State University (Lake Charles, LA) - MSU has extended its registration for the fall semester to Friday, Sept. 9, to accommodate those students, both undergraduate and graduate, who were planning to attend colleges and universities in or near the New Orleans area but now need to transfer because of Hurricane Katrina. Admissions: 337-475-5148 [53]
  • University of Louisiana at Monroe (Monroe, LA) - Willing to accommodate any student who has been displaced due to Katrina. Undergrad: (318) 342-5430 or 1-800-372-5127. Graduate: (318) 342-3032 or (318) 342-5257 or 1-800-372-5127 [54]


  • University of Maine (Orono, ME) "Any student - from Maine or from any other state - currently enrolled in a college or university that postponed or terminated classes due to hurricane-related damage or conditions are invited to enroll at one of Maine's seven universities under "visiting student" status. This offer applies to any undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at any accredited institution in the regions affected by the hurricane. Such students will be allowed to enroll without having to follow the usual application process and will be offered in-state tuition rates, given the unique conditions under which they would be enrolling. University personnel will work with each student to identify the most appropriate option for them within the University System. For both current University of Maine System students who are from the hurricane-affected region and for those who enroll as "visiting students," the University System will provide whatever accommodations are appropriate to assist them with health, housing, counseling, and temporary financial needs. Students in need of assistance are encouraged to contact the University System at 1-800-804-3200, ext. 3237, or through the world-wide web at"[55]


  • Maryland Institute College of Art (Baltimore, MD) - "MICA will admit students from colleges and universities hit by Hurricane Katrina on a visiting basis for one semester, Fall 2005, so that they remain students of their home institution." Tuition waived, but room and board and additional fees apply at normal visiting student's rate. For information, contact admissions at 410-225-2222 or the Graduate Office of Admissions at 410-225-2256. [56]
  • University of Maryland, College Park (College Park, MD) - Students seeking assistance should contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at 301.314.8385. or the Graduate Admissions Office at 301.405.0376. [57]


  • Boston University (Boston, MA) - "Boston University (BU) today opened its doors to undergraduate students from hurricane-stricken Tulane University. University officials announced that fully enrolled Tulane undergraduates are now eligible to enroll tuition-free and attend classes at BU during the fall semester. Tulane graduate and professional students may also contact BU schools and will be considered on a case-by-case basis. BU’s Medical and Law Schools have already made arrangements for several Tulane students to attend BU programs this semester. 'Like so many schools across the country, we are mobilizing to help a sister institution,” said BU President Robert A. Brown. “Their situation is dire, and opening our campus to displaced students so they can continue their education this fall is a critically important thing to do.' The fall semester for undergraduate students at BU begins September 6 but Tulane students would have until September 12 to start classes. Nonetheless, university officials encouraged interested students to contact the university as soon as possible, and once they do, officials will help students register for courses that are relevant to their respective degrees. Although no on-campus student housing is available, BU housing officials will also provide students with resources to search for off-campus accommodations." [58]
  • Brandeis University (Boston, MA) - Brandeis is prepared to grant 'special student' status at the undergraduate and graduate level, while these schools struggle to recover. Brandeis will offer access to classes on a space available basis. Although we cannot accommodate additional students in our residence halls, we will try to assist any student who needs help finding off-campus housing. The Brandeis science community is working with the AAU, assessing capacity and need, to find appropriate laboratory, office or research space for faculty requiring assistance. [59]
  • Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) - Will admit "25 additional students from colleges and universities that will not reopen this term due to the storm into our Visiting Undergraduate Student Program for the Fall Semester," according to a letter by the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. No tuition will be charged. On-campus housing will be provided on a space-available basis and priority will be given to students rendered homeless by the storm. The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will admit 25 students to its Special Students program from colleges and universities that will not reopen this fall due to the storm. As in the case of Visiting Undergraduate Student Program, applications will be processed rapidly, and no tuition will be charged. The Harvard Extension School (HES) will allow enrollment in any of its fall courses to those students living within commuting distance who would normally be attending college in the flooded areas. For those students who are not within commuting distance of the campus, HES will make available enrollment in any of its 36 fall online courses. Harvard Law School will admit students from Tulane and Loyola, according to the following letter from Law School Dean Elena Kagan: "In common with a good number of other law schools, the law school will open its doors to members of the two law schools in New Orleans -- Tulane and Loyola. We expect up to 25 second- and third-year students to enroll as visiting students for the fall term (and if necessary, the rest of the year). The law school will waive tuition provided the student has paid tuition to his or her home law school. Dean Cosgrove and the Board of Student Advisers will work closely together to make the transition of these students as smooth possible.[60][61] (PDF) [62] and [63]
  • Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, MA) - We are accepting special applications from students whose educational plans have been interrupted by this disaster. We will evaluate such applications on a case-by-case basis. We are asking all such students, undergraduate or graduate, to first contact the MIT Admissions Office at 617-253-4791 for a special application form (PDF) for visiting students. Graduate inquiries will be sent to the relevant department for decision. [64]
  • Springfield Technical Community College (Springfield, MA) - "Springfield Technical Community College has five openings for second year associate degree nursing (RN) students. The college will try to find housing in the Springfield area for Katrina college students who want to complete their program at STCC. Please call Ira Rubenzahl 413-755-4906 (President of the College) or Mary Tarbell ( Director of Nursing ) at 413-755-4855. Email at and" [65]


  • Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI) - MSU is handling requests from displaced students from the New Orleans higher education community on a case-by-case basis. If a student had been previously admitted to MSU as a degree-seeking undergraduate and wishes to have their admission reactivated, the university will do so. The Office of Admissions and Scholarships is working with advisors around campus and with housing officials to meet individual student needs. Several Lansing-area residents who attend school in the affected areas have expressed interest in attending MSU on a temporary basis. The students, who are being registered as quickly as possible, will live with their families here while attending MSU. MSU College of Law has offered to take in 25 law students from Tulane and Loyola universities, both located in New Orleans. As long as students have paid their tuition at their home institution, MSU College of Law will place them in emergency housing with faculty in the law school community. Students will be able to continue their education and remain eligible to meet deadlines for the upcoming summer bar examination. [66]


  • University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) - The Institute for Advanced Study is offering short-term fellowships to faculty displaced by Katrina. The University has already admitted a law school student who plans on starting classes next week. The policy for hurricane-affected students includes: a). Each request will be handled on a case-by-case basis: b). If the student is qualified, the University will work to the best of its ability to admit him or her for the fall semester, but the student may have to wait for the spring 2006 semester: c). First consideration will be given to Minnesota residents and then to residents of states directly affected by the hurricane: d). Campus housing will be made available to as many new freshmen as possible: e). The Office of Student Finance will work with each student on a case-by-case basis." [67] [68]


  • Jackson State University (Jackson, MS) - "Anyone seeking information regarding Jackson State University students housed on the campus during Hurricane Katrina may call (601) 979-1973. For additional updates regarding JSU students and closings, visit" JSU is apparently housing a number of Tulane students and faculty at the moment, FYI. [69]


  • Lindenwood University (St. Charles, MO) - Expedited admission. "We would like to offer to accept these students under special status to study and live on our campus in St. Charles, Missouri for this current Fall semester." Room for up to 50 men and 50 women at the undergraduate and graduate level. For more information, contact John Guffey at 636-949-4934. [70]
  • Maryville University of Saint Louis (St. Louis, MO) - Offers admission to displaced students at no cost for the fall semester. Offer is for both undergraduate and graduate students, whether full-time or part-time. Applications accepted through September 15, 2005. For information, call the school's general line at 1-800-627-9855. [71]
  • Washington University in St. Louis (St. Louis, MO) - Washington University will be accepting some of these students on a visiting, non-degree-seeking basis and also will be offering library privileges and work space to graduate students and scholars who need a place to work. There may also be a need to coordinate efforts to find housing for some of these students and their families. [72]



  • Midland Lutheran College (Fremont, NE) - "Midland Lutheran College is working with the Nebraska Independent College Foundation and will accept students or faculty from institutions affected by the hurricane on a case-by-case basis." Contact Jon Fredricks at 402-941-6054 or at [74]
  • University of Nebraska (NE statewide) - For those students eligible for admission who are unable to return to their home campuses for an indefinite period of time, we will immediately accept as many as we can at our campuses. We will allow them to enroll this fall at in-state tuition rates, and provide assistance in quickly registering them for classes, finding housing and whatever additional help they need." Classes began August 22 in Omaha, Lincoln and Kearney, so incoming students would have a reasonably small number of class days to make up. Milliken noted that a number of Nebraska students who were enrolled at Tulane University in New Orleans have already contacted the university. "This is temporary assistance, and when their institutions are able to re-open, we will also help facilitate an easy transfer back home," Milliken said. The university is also looking into providing space, to the extent available, to faculty at affected institutions. Students seeking assistance are urged to contact NU via email at A 24-hour 800 # has also been set up to handle inquiries: 1-800-742-8800." [75]


  • University of Nevada-Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV) - Offers temporary enrollment to students from Nevada who have been displaced as a result of Hurricane Katrina. The Harrah Hotel College of UNLV opens its doors to displaced students from University of New Orlean's hospitality program. Additionally, UNLV's Boyd School of Law is accepting displaced law students from Tulane and Loyola's law schools. For more information, contact the admissions office at 702-774-UNLV (8658). [76]

New Hampshire

New Jersey

  • Montclair State University (Montclair, NJ) - Montclair State University has announced that it will offer immediate enrollment to any New Jersey student attending an accredited four-year college or university in the Gulf Coast states devastated by Hurricane Katrina, MSU President Dr. Susan A. Cole said. "Our concern is to assure that any New Jersey student who had hoped to begin or continue their college education this fall will not be prevented from doing so by this terrible disaster," Cole said. For additional information on enrollment, undergraduate students should call the Undergradate Admissions office at 973-655-7060 or email: Graduate students with inquiries regarding master's programs may email [77]
  • Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) - Update Sept. 8: All available spaces taken, applications no longer accepted, but university officials will continue to review applications from those who have already applied. Provides housing on campus for a limited number of academically-qualified, undergraduate and graduate students who have been displaced from their colleges and universities by the hurricane and flooding so that they may continue their educational pursuits until they can return to their home institutions. [78]
  • Rowan University (Glassboro, NJ) - "We were contacted yesterday by two of our recent graduates who were accepted by the University of New Orleans for graduate work and who now find themselves without a university to attend this semester. We agreed to accept them into our graduate program on an emergency basis. However, it seems to me that there are many students in the same predicament who we could and should help. By accepting these students, we hope we can help them keep their college careers virtually uninterrupted," said Dr. Donald Farish, president, Rowan University. Rowan will consider requests for admittance from any student who was enrolled in a Gulf Coast college that was damaged by the hurricane. Students who are accepted will be enrolled as visiting students, but charged in-state tuition and housing rates. For more information, call Dr. Joanne Damminger, Rowan University executive assistant to the vice president for student affairs, at 856-256-4453." [79]

New Mexico

New York

  • Adelphi University (Garden City, NY) - Offers expedited admissions to undergraduate and graduate displaced students, through September 9, 2005. Application fee waiver. Contact Christine Murphy at 516-877-3056 or Laura Aniano at 516-877-3064. [80]
  • College of New Rochelle, The (New Rochelle, NY) - "Offers immediate admission to current students from colleges and universities adversely affected by Hurricane Katrina to its School of Arts and Sciences (SAS), School of Nursing (SN), and Graduate School (GRS)." Apply immediately for beginning of fall term on September 7, 2005. SAS Admissions Office: 914-654-5452; SN Admissions Office, 914-654-5452; GRS Dean's Office - 914-654-5320. [81]
  • Columbia University (New York City, NY) - Undergraduates should contact the School of Continuing Education for further information and help in applying at or 212-854-9699. The deadline for new applications is Tuesday, September 6, at 6 p.m. Graduate Professional School students should contact the admissions offices of the specific school in question. Graduate students interested in exploring the possibility of taking courses at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences should contact the office of the dean at 212-854-2861 or [82]
  • Cornell University (Ithaca, NY) - Displaced students from Tulane University can enroll at Cornell and will receive help finding housing. Students should plan to begin classes no later than September 12. [83] Tulane faculty are also being provided resources. [84]
  • New York Law School (New York, NY) - Accepting 2L and 3L displaced law students as visiting students at no additional tuition if students already paid at their home institutions. Contact Susan Gross at or the admissions office at 1-800-937-6957. "New York Law School is ready to make arrangements to enable Tulane and Loyola faculty or administrators to work from New York Law School, with (modest) office space, phone, computer and library services." Contact Associate Dean Stephen Ellmann at or at 212-431-2392. [85]
  • New York University (New York, NY) - Accepting applications for space in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, The Gallatin School of Individualized Study, and the Steinhardt School of Education. Grad students, post docs, and faculty are asked to contact departments directly. There are also limited spaces in NYU's London program. Students will be enrolled tuition-free; however, housing will not be made available. They will begin reviewing applications Monday, September 5, and make acceptance announcements no later than Thursday, September 8. The application is available here: [86]
  • University at Buffalo (Buffalo, NY) - "To date, at least four undergraduate students who have been evacuated from Tulane University in New Orleans are in the process of enrolling at UB as visiting students. We are doing everything we can to ease their entry into UB, facilitating the application and registration processes, coordinating the transfer of course credits and financial aid where applicable, providing housing as needed, and helping to put them in touch with faculty and academic advisors. As a comprehensive public research university, we are also committed to reaching out to graduate and professional students in need—for example, the UB Law School will make its fall courses available to third-year law students from Tulane University and to second- and third-year students from Loyola University." [87]
  • Syracuse University (Syracuse, NY) has reached capacity for undergraduate students, but is still accepting law students from Tulane and Loyala-New Orleans Law Schools. [88]The University's grant preparation and research facilities remain available to faculty members and graduate students from affected colleges and universities. Those interested should contact Gina Lee-Glauser at (315) 443-1824.

North Carolina

  • Wake Forest University (Winston-Salem, NC) - "In light of the disastrous situation, Wake Forest University is offering to accept a limited number of undergraduate, graduate and professional school students affected by the hurricane in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast area. The university is considering applications from students who would be accepted for the fall semester as visiting students...Wake Forest is in a position to accept a limited number of students. Those already announcing plans to accept students include the undergraduate College, the Calloway School of Business and Accountancy, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Law, the School of Medicine and the Divinity School." [89]
    • On Tuesday, September 15, Wake Forest enrolled 14 such undergraduate students, of whom 11 were freshmen. [90]

North Dakota

  • University of North Dakota (Grand Forks, ND) - "The University of North Dakota is opening its doors to college students affected by the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The University is offering assistance to those students and faculty who are in the impacted areas and associated colleges and universities that are affected by Hurricane Katrina and cannot reopen during this semester." Fall 2005 tuition and fees waived. Verification of previous admission or enrollment needed. Offer is open to graduate students and faculty members as well as to undergraduate students. For more information, call toll-free at 1-866-618-8966. [91]


  • Cleveland State University (Cleveland, OH) - The University will offer acceptance to hurricane-affected students who have no way to contact their college to obtain a transcript for transfer admission. Special arrangements also have been set up to accept graduate and international students. Already University officials have admitted some 20 students displaced from Tulane, Loyola, Xavier and other colleges and universities. [92]
  • Hiram College (Hiram, OH) - "Hiram College President Thomas V. Chema is offering his home as housing for faculty members and residence hall rooms for students attending institutions impacted by Hurricane Katrina. The offer includes the use of campus facilities enjoyed by the rest of the Hiram community. "As we thought about ways to provide support to students displaced by the hurricane, we recognized that the opportunity to continue on in classes with familiar faculty and classmates would be a source of comfort for the victims," said Chema. [93]
  • Kent State University (Kent, OH) - Kent State stands ready to help students who are displaced because of the hurricane. We are in contact with the America Council on Education and the Ohio Board of Regents to help place students whose colleges have closed because of the disaster. Our residence halls are at capacity, so we can likely be most helpful to students who have family in the Northeast Ohio area. Some academic departments on our campuses also are planning to offer office space, where available, and Internet access to faculty colleagues from the affected area. This offer may have limited application but could be valuable for displaced faculty members with Ohio connections, but we already are assisting an international scholar. Similar initiatives can be reported to individual deans, chairs and directors. [94]
  • Ohio Northern University (Ada, OH) - Welcomes displaced students to study at ONU for the fall term at no additional tuition, if all costs were previously paid at their home institutions. "In addition to the university’s undergraduate programs, the ONU Pettit College of Law will allow any Tulane or Loyola of New Orleans students to sit in fall classes without formally registering or paying fees, until the respective schools determine if and when they will reopen." Contact admissions at 1-888-408-4ONU for more information. Law students contact Associate Dean John Christoff at 419-722-2206. [95]
  • The Ohio State University (Columbus, OH) - Ohio State's autumn quarter begins September 21st. If you are an undergraduate student enrolled at another university impacted by Hurricane Katrina, and you want information about attending Ohio State autumn quarter, contact Christine Harper ( in Undergraduate Admissions. If you are a graduate or professional student enrolled at another university impacted by Hurricane Katrina, and you want information about attending Ohio State autumn quarter, contact Nance Hoza ( in Graduate and Professional Admissions. [96]
  • University of Dayton (Dayton, OH) - "Welcomes academically qualified undergraduate and graduate students effected by Hurricane Katrina. For students whose institutions (Tulane, Xavier, Loyola, Dillard and other campuses in New Orleans) have closed as a result of the hurricane and who are residents of New Orleans, the University of Dayton will offer free tuition for the fall term. Other students with permanent residency outside of New Orleans will be admitted on a case-by-case basis. The University also is able to house up to 100 students. Students seeking to enroll in the emergency admission program should contact Mr. Rob Durkle in the Office of Admission at 937-229-4411." [97]


  • Oklahoma State University (Stillwater, OK) - Tuition and fees will be waived for New Orleans students displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Graduate office of admissions is waiving application fees and requirements for transcript and other documents. OSU will work with students to find housing on campus or in the community. Undergraduates, contact Office of Enrollment Management at 1-405-744-4366. Graduate students, call 405-744-6368. [98]


  • Willamette University (Salem, OR) - "Willamette's College of Liberal Arts and its professional schools (law, business management and education) have made arrangements to accept displaced students who are in good standing and who express a desire to attend Willamette. Students who have enrolled at institutions now being evacuated may attend Willamette tuition-free for one semester." For information, call the university's general line at 503-370-6300. [99]


  • Pennsylvania State University (University Park, PA) - Anticipates to enroll about 60 students. Undergrad admissions: (814) 865-5471 [100] Graduate students contact departments directly.[101]
  • Robert Morris University (Moon Township, PA) - is prepared to admit up 20 Undergraduate and 20 Graduate students for the Fall 2005 semester. 412-262-8521,, [102]
  • Temple University (Philadelphia, PA) - "Undergraduate students enrolled in a college or university closed by the storm can temporarily enroll at Temple, at no charge, while paying tuition and fees to their home institutions. Enrollment options may also be available for graduate and professional students. Because classes at Temple began Aug. 29, 2005, students are encouraged to contact Temple University as soon as possible. Registration must be completed by Monday, Sept. 12, the last day to late register for the fall semester." [103]
  • Thiel College (Mercy County, PA) - " Thiel College (PA) is opening its doors to displaced students and higher education employees from Gulf Coast colleges that are now closed or under repair as a result of Hurricane Katrina. Displaced students are invited, on a space available basis, to complete their fall semesters at Thiel College. The college will waive the fall semester's tuition." Contact Dr. W. Jeffrey Welsh at 1-800-248-4435 by September 9, 2005. [104]
  • University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) - Update Sept. 8: All available spaces in the undergraduate program have been taken, applications no longer accepted. Offers enrollment to displaced Philadelphia area students... as many as 100 undergraduate students. In addition, graduate and professional students will be considered on an individual basis, depending on available space. 215-573-4338 The expectation is that the emergency program would serve students within commuting distance. [105] Graduate students contact the departments directly. [106]
  • University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) - "We are offering guest student status to Pennsylvania residents (and, in some limited cases, to nonresident students) who are undergraduate or graduate students at colleges and universities closed in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. We already are beginning to receive and process these special applications and expect some of these students to enroll at the beginning of next week. If a given student is not able to commute, we will try to assist that student in finding appropriate housing nearby – though no campus housing is available. We also will offer guest scholar status to faculty from affected universities who wish to use our libraries." LiveJournal users ergonic_orange is an undergrad and max_ambiguity is a grad student who can help. [107]

Rhode Island

  • Brown University (Providence, RI) - Brown and the seven other institutions in the Rhode Island Independent Higher Education Association (RIIHEA) will offer admission for the upcoming semester to Rhode Island residents whose studies at colleges and universities in the devastated areas have been interrupted by the hurricane. Students will apply through RIIHEA, which will coordinate with member institutions. Brown will supply a staff member to assist this effort for undergraduate students, graduate students, and medical students who are Rhode Island residents. Displaced students who are Rhode Island residents may contact RIIHEA directly at (401) 272-8270. Students who would otherwise be enrolled in colleges and universities in the affected communities and who are siblings of currently enrolled Brown students will also be offered admission to the University for one semester. In addition, Brown will accept undergraduates for one semester from Xavier University of Louisiana, Dillard University, and Tulane University whose studies have been interrupted by the disaster. Students who are admitted to Brown under this assistance program will not be charged tuition. [108]
  • Salve Regina University (Newport, RI) - "RIIHEA (Rhode Island Independent Higher Education Association) members will provide one semester of free registration to courses. Rhode Island students who are in that situation should contact the RIIHEA office at 401-272-8270 for information. Beyond that initiative, the university in the process of finalizing details to offer online courses to graduate students from universities in the Gulf Coast region with the understanding that the students would transfer the courses back to their original institutions." [109]
  • Widener University (Chester, PA) - Widener University is offering tuition-free admission to all undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a college or university that has had to shut down because of Hurricane Katrina. In addition, Widener University School of Law, located on campuses in Wilmington, Del. and Harrisburg, Pa., is offering tuition-free admission to law students who are currently enrolled in either Tulane University or Loyola University and who are now displaced as a result of the disaster. Many faculty and staff members have even offered to house these students at no cost while they attend Widener School of Law. For more information about Widener University relief efforts, please contact Dr. Dexter L. Davis at 610.499.1169 or

South Carolina

  • Clemson University (Clemson, SC) - " Clemson University also is open to and responding to inquiries from students displaced from the colleges and universities in the affected areas. The University graduate and undergraduate admissions staff will work with these students to assist them with housing and academic courses." Graduate students, contact Frankie Felder at 864-656-1845 or at Undergraduate students, contact Robert Barkley at 864-656-5463 or at [110]
  • University of South Carolina (Columbia, SC) - Undergraduate students interested in studying at USC should contact Scott King in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 803 777-4067 or via email for further details. Graduate Students should contact Dr. Chris Ebert at 803 777-2808 or via email at Law students displaced by the storm should contact Paul Rollins at 803 777-6605 or via email at [111]

South Dakota


  • Middle Tennessee State University (Mufreesboro, TN) - "Students will be admitted free of charge, there are rooms available in housing, and we will accommodate them with a meal plan and books." Accepting both undergraduate and graduate students. Call admissions at 614-898-2111 or Sharon Kintzler at 615-898-2235. Graduate students, call 615-898-2840. [112]
  • UT Knoxville (Knoxville, TN) - Eligible students will not pay tuition or housing if they've already paid at their schools. If eligible students have not paid tuition at their schools, they will pay the in-state rate to attend UT and housing fees that apply. Our help will be available as long as the students are directly displaced and their colleges and universities are closed. UTK has offered to bring in up to 500 undergraduate students, as well as 50 law students (20 first-year students, 30 from the upper division) and all graduate students who wish to enroll. We also have streamlined the process for admission so that students may resume their educations as quickly as possible. Undergraduate Students Connie Harmon at (865)974-1180. Graduate Students Rose Ann Trantham at (865)974-1339. Law Students Karen Britton or Rachel Inman at (865)974-4131. Housing Jerry Adams at (865)974-2571. [113]
  • Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN) - Displaced Gulf Coast area students who are residents of Middle Tennessee or have immediate family in the area may enroll in Vanderbilt classes by September 7 free of charge. The Divinity School is accepting continuing students, who will be classified as Visiting Students. The deadline for application is the end of the week of Sept. 5. The Graduate School, upon the recommendation of a Director of Graduate Studies and the appropriate school or college Dean's office, will approve limited-term admission, for the Fall 2005 semester only. Vanderbilt Law School will accept up to 25 students from the law schools at Tulane and Loyola universities. "In accordance with the wishes of the deans from those schools, we will accept only third-year students from Tulane and second- and third-year students from Loyola," said, Don Welch, associate dean of the Vanderbilt Law School. Students interested in a specific professional program should contact that school's admissions office directly. [114]


  • Amberton University (Garland, TX) - "Amberton University, a Christian institution designed for the working adult student, is reaching out to aid displaced junior/senior level and graduate students who have been affected by Hurricane Katrina." Registration through September 17, 2005. Limited scholarship available, more information on Web site. Contact Student Services at 972-279-6511 ext. 180 or at "In addition, Amberton has employment opportunities available for displaced faculty who hold a doctorate degree in Business/Management, Counseling, etc. Please contact Dr. Algia Allen, Vice President of Academic Services, for details ( or 972/279-6511 ext. 135)."]
  • Baylor University (Waco, TX) - Baylor is working to accommodate upperclassmen from higher education institutions in the hurricane-affected areas to assimilate them into the university so they can continue their studies on a temporary basis. At this time Baylor is unable to accommodate additional freshmen, but admissions staff members are working to admit sophomores, juniors and seniors for the fall semester on a space available basis...Baylor's George W. Truett Theological Seminary has offered to accommodate students at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary for a semester while the Louisiana school recovers from the hurricane...Baylor's School of Law has offered to work with the law schools at Tulane and Loyola to accommodate their law students as visiting law students while the Louisiana schools recover from the hurricane. [115]
  • Texas A&M University (College Station, TX) - Announced that it will accept up to 1,000 students for as long as one year from any of the universities or four-year colleges unable to offer classes this fall due to Hurricane Katrina, as well as providing (to the extent possible) a temporary home for faculty to continue their research while their own campuses are unavailable. Texas A&M will make available for students from impacted schools approximately 140 campus housing assignments and provide assistance in arranging off-campus housing as needed. Office of Admissions and Records at (979) 845-1060 or by e-mail at . List of Texas A&M campuses accepting students including contact info. [116]
  • Texas State University (San Marcos, TX) - Undergrad admissions: 1-866-798-2287 weekdays 8 am to 5 pm. Graduate admissions: 512-245-2581 [117]
  • Texas Tech University (Lubbock, TX) - Students currently enrolled at universities hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina will be eligible to attend fall semester classes at Texas Tech University and Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. The school will open its doors and expedite enrollment processes so that students can continue with classes. Hotline (806) 742-0000. Help for graduate students, professional students, and faculty is also available. Housing will be made available. [118]
  • Texas Wesleyan University Law School (Fort Worth, TX) - will accept up to 60 law students from Loyola New Orleans and Tulane Universities. [119]
  • University of Houston (Houston, TX) - UH is accepting students and waiving fees; information for enrollment is listed on that page. [120] In addition, the Law School is accepting law students without letters of good standing. Loyola University - New Orleans will be setting up classes for all their 1L students at the University of Houston Law Center. [121]
  • University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (Belton, TX) - Welcomes qualified graduate students through September 9. Contact admissions at 1-800-727-UMHB or at Class attendance must begin by September 12. "Faculty and staff from impacted institutions seeking temporary or full-time opportunities for relocation and employment with UMHB should contact our Office of Human Resources at the same number or on the Internet at" [122]
  • University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX) - Undergraduate students who are Texas residents or graduates from Texas high schools will be eligible to take available undergraduate courses at the University for the fall 2005 semester. Graduate and professional students who are Texas residents or graduates of Texas colleges and universities will be eligible to take available graduate courses at the University for the fall 2005 semester. Graduate students who have no need for coursework but who need to use libraries and research facilities will be eligible to use appropriate University facilities. Foreign exchange students will be eligible to take available courses at the University for the fall 2005 semester if the University has a formal exchange agreement with the students' home institutions. LiveJournal user katherinemorrow is a graduate student at UT and can help. [123]
  • UT Dallas (Dallas, TX) - UTD will continue to admit students affected by the hurricane through next Friday, Sept. 9. The admissions process will be expedited and they will be escorted to Undergraduate Advising or the appropriate graduate division, where they will receive personal attention. The application fee will be waived, and no other documents are required. However, high school or college transcripts and/or letters of acceptance to affected institutions are helpful. Students who are admitted to UTD will be charged in-state tuition. UTD is also hosting the Tulane University website on its servers – providing a continued web presence for the university in conveying essential information to faculty, staff, students, parents and alumni there. [124]
  • UT Pan American (Edinburg, TX) - UTPA is ready and willing to accept students from Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama on an emergency basis. This invitation is open to students who were enrolling or were enrolled in colleges and universities in the area of greatest disaster impact and are likely to remain closed for an extended period. These emergency measures are temporary. Students will be accepted only for the fall semester if they contact us by Friday, Sept. 9, 2005. Interested students should contact Dr. Maggie Williams, dean of Admissions and Enrollment Services, 956/381-2482 or Dr. George Avellano, dean of the Graduate School and associate vice president for Academic Affairs, 956/381-3661. Students need to advise us that they are from the affected schools and are seeking admission due to the emergency situation at their current campus."



  • Green Mountain College (Poultney, VT) - "Green Mountain College in Poultney, Vermont will accept two or three faculty, in addition to up to 20 students from New England, New York or Pennsylvania, who were affected by the hurricane. The professors would help teach displaced students at the college for the fall semester, which began August 30." For information, contact Anne Lundquist at 1-802-287-8377 or at [125]
  • School for International Training (Brattleboro, VT) - "We would be willing to accept a modest number of international faculty and/or graduate students at our facility in Brattleboro, Vermont." [126]
  • Vermont Law School (South Royalton, VT) - "Vermont Law School (VT) is waiving fall semester tuition for up to ten law students from the gulf region. VLS is currently in discussion with three Tulane Law School (New Orleans) students, including one second year, J.D. program student, and two LL.M. (post J.D. program) students. Numerous members of the VLS community, including faculty, staff, and students, have offered temporary, free housing and other necessities to law students from the gulf region. VLS is working with other Vermont institutions to arrange more permanent housing, if it is needed, and with the U.S. Department to provide financial aid assistance for the students." For more information, visit the school's Web site. [127]


  • Marymount University (Arlington, VA) - " Marymount University invites local students displaced by Hurricane Katrina to contact the Admissions Office to discuss enrollment until their colleges are able to reopen. The University will work with students individually to facilitate a smooth transition and will strive to place each in courses comparable to those at the home institution. For Undergraduate Admissions, call 703-284-1500. For Graduate Admissions, call 703-284-5902. The toll-free number is 800-548-7638." [128]
  • University of Richmond (Richmond, VA) - Offers enrollment of up to 20 displaced students, tuition-free for the fall semester. In addition, the university is also accepting displaced law students. For more information, contact admissions at 1-800-700-1662. Law students, call 804-289-8189. [129]
  • Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, VA) - "Students from any of the affected Gulf Coast colleges and universities are encouraged to contact VCU's Offices of Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions as well as the MCV Campus professional schools. Information can be received at 804-828-8940." [130]
  • Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA) - Offers enrollment to undergraduate and graduate students studying at affected universities. Prospective students must notify the admissions office by Wednesday, September 7, at 5 p.m. An expanded online course selection is expected to be available. Some positions for affected faculty may also be available. The university residence halls have a very limited number of on-campus spaces available, but many off-campus apartment complexes have vacancies and are willing to offer special arrangements to students displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Undergraduate students interested should immediately contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, (540) 231-6267 or and complete an application at Graduate students should contact the Graduate School, (540) 231-7581. [131]
  • Washigton and Lee University School of Law (Lexington, VA) - School of Law to Enroll Up to 15 Students from Tulane and Loyola Law Schools: As the extent of the devastating conditions in New Orleans becomes apparent, Washington and Lee University has taken immediate action to offer assistance. The School of Law has extended visiting-student status to displaced Tulane and Loyola law students for the fall semester. These institutions have been devastated by the effects of Hurricane Katrina and are closed until further notice. [132]


  • Eastern Washington University (Cheney, WA) - Eastern Washington University welcomes undergraduate and graduate students who are registered at affected institutions in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. We will strive to accommodate visiting students in a comparable program at Eastern and to coordinate admissions, enrollment, financial aid and housing for as smooth a transition as possible. We will address long-term enrollment needs on an individual basis as the quarter proceeds. For more information, students should contact EWU Enrollment Services at (509) 359-6352 or e-mail [133]
  • Seattle University (Seattle, WA) - "Seattle University in conjunction with Jesuit sister colleges and universities, is accepting students enrolled in three universities impacted by Hurricane Katrina: Loyola of New Orleans, Tulane University and Xavier of Louisiana. Students are being admitted based upon the university's classroom capacity and ability to meet the student's curricular and housing needs. The students will be enrolled as visiting, non-matriculated, students and will return to their home institutions when their home institutions reopen. "We've had more than 50 inquiries and have already admitted 41 visiting students for fall quarter, which begins September 21," said Jim White, interim director of Enrollment Services. Those admitted include law students, and undergraduates studying engineering, arts and sciences. Students needing further information may download relevant guidelines, procedures, and forms (PDF document), contact Admissions at (206) 296-2000 or (800) 426-7123, or email the Admissions office at" [134][135]
  • University of Washington (Seattle, WA) - "In the case of the University of Washington, we expect inquiries from perhaps 50-100 students attending universities in New Orleans, most particularly Tulane University. We will welcome these students to temporarily continue their studies at UW for as long as it takes for Tulane to reopen. Our plan is to accommodate students in a program comparable to the one in which they were enrolled and to have the tuition revenues that would normally go to Tulane continue to be directed to that institution...Several fine professional and graduate schools in New Orleans have also been affected by the storm. Deans from around the country are accepting students into their classes. In particular, medical school deans are participating in an emergency conference through NIH to determine how best to assist these medical centers in this time of critical need. We are also working through University Libraries with colleagues at Tulane and its neighboring institutions on plans to preserve their library holdings. Without electricity and adequate climate control, library holdings may be at risk, and our librarians and others around the country are working to address this issue." [136] MySpace user offering help with settling in Seattle [137]

West Virginia


  • Ottawa University - "Ottawa University (KS)(AZ)(WI)(IN), with a residential campus in Ottawa, Kansas, and adult campuses in Overland Park, Kansas; Phoenix, Mesa, and Tempe, Arizona; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and Jeffersonville, Indiana, will accept students who have been relocated by Hurricane Katrina. All OU locations are offering a tuition waiver for the first term to assist traditional age and adult students with their academic needs." Contact Susan Backofen at or 1-800-755-5200 ext. 1044 for more information. [138]



  • McGill University (Montreal, Quebec) - "..McGill will admit freshmen students from Tulane into a regular undergraduate program, where feasible, until September 13, 2005, which is the end of the University's course add/drop period. After that date, students will be considered for admission to the January 2006 term. All such applications, including those to professional programs such as Law and limited-capacity programs, will be reviewed promptly and individually in consultation with program directors to expedite regular processes. Similarly, applications from affected undergraduate transfer students and graduate students will be considered on an individual basis. Incoming students who are not citizens or permanent residents of Canada will have to obtain the appropriate permits and paperwork from immigration authorities to study in Canada. McGill's International Student Services Office will make every effort to fast-track this process by contacting the government authorities directly on behalf of the students. "Although we cannot offer on-campus housing or residence at this late date, our Off-Campus Housing Office can provide students who are admitted late with suggestions for affordable, privately owned accommodations near campus," says Kim Bartlett, McGill Director of Admissions (undergraduate)." [139]
  • University of Alberta (Edmonton, Alberta) - The University of Alberta extends its deepest sympathies to everyone who has experienced a loss from this disaster. The University will admit, as Visiting Students with tuition waived, those students whose home institutions are unable to conduct classes for Fall, 2005. Admitted students will be allowed to register until September 20th, 2005 for courses for which they are academically qualified and where spaces are available. After that date, they will be considered for the January, 2006 term. The university will also assist students in finding accommodations. Undergraduate students should contact Melissa Casey (780-492-5456) Graduate students should contact Heather Hogg (780-492-5525)[140]
  • University of Guelph (Guelph, Ontario) - U of G will accept, whenever possible, undergraduate and graduate students from schools that have been adversely affected by flooding and destruction. Following guidelines developed by Gulf Coast presidents, the students would be admitted to U of G on a visiting or provisional basis. [141]
  • University of Waterloo (Waterloo, Ontario) - The University of Waterloo, is offering admission with tuition waivers for up to 10 undergraduate and 10 graduate students who have been displaced from affected universities in the Gulf Coast states. Tuition will be waived for these students and housing will be provided on a space available basis. We will also strive to accommodate interested faculty members who may be seeking research, office or lab space. For more information, contact Wendy Mertz, Associate Vice-President Academic Office 519-888-4567 ext.2663, [142]