Chinese President signs multiple trade deals with India
Thursday, September 18, 2014
China would set up two industrial parks in India, one inand one in . The deals encompass Chinese investment of 20 billion in infrastructure projects, modernisation of the Indian , and agreements on trade, , and civil . China has also committed itself to opening its markets to Indian and . A final settlement of the unresolved dispute over the Chinese–Indian border in the is also to be sought; the dispute, over which the of 1962 was fought, arises over where the border should be.
In a message to Chinese journalists on Tuesday, Indian Prime Minister Modi used the slogan "Inch towards Miles", (standing for "India and China towards Millennium of Exceptional Synergy") to express his hopes as to the future direction of the two nations' bilateral ties. The Indian Prime Minister further emphasised the shared history and culture of the two nations which could be further enhanced for a brighter shared future.
The Chinese president's visit comes amid tension over Chinese territorial claims in the, clashing with claims of several other countries, including . In a five day visit to Japan in the beginning of this month, Modi said "The world is divided in two camps. One camp believes in expansionist policies while the other believes in development." Modi and Japanese Prime Minister also came to an agreement which would see Japanese investment in India rise to US$33.6 billion in the next five years.
Another unresolved tension between the twoIndia and China is continued Chinese support of India's rival .
Xi's visit to India, which began yesterday following visits toand the , is part of an initiative Xi likens to the creation of a 21st Century .
- "India urges peaceful settlement of disputes at South China Sea" — Wikinews, August 13, 2014
- "China's Xi Jinping signs landmark deals on India visit" — , September 18, 2014
- "Chinese President Xi Jinping's India visit: After six decades, a Chinese leader gets public welcome" — , September 18, 2014
- "Chinese President Xi Jinping begins India visit" — , September 17, 2014
- "‘INCH’ (India-China) To ‘MILES’ (Millennium Of Exceptional Synergy); Modi’s Expectations From China" — , September 17, 2014
- Menjie. "Xinhua Insight: China, ASEAN discuss new Maritime Silk Road" — , September 16, 2014
- Bruce Einhorn. "Visiting Japan, India's Modi Pokes at China" — , September 2, 2014