Captors release American journalist Jill Carroll
Thursday, March 30, 2006
Caroll was abducted on January 7, 2006 in Baghdad by gunmen and was dropped off by unknown individuals at the Iraqi Islamic Party's branch office in the western part of the Amariyah district in Baghdad. Her translator was killed during the abduction, but her driver escaped.
Carroll is a freelance journalist who writes for the Christian Science Monitor.
"She was released this morning; she's talked to her father and she's fine. This is a wonderful day," said David Cook, chief of The Christian Science Monitor's Washington bureau.
"She is OK. She is safe. She is more or less scared. I told her calm down and we would take care of her," said Tariq al-Hashimi, the party's secretary general.
Earlier, her captives threatened to kill Carroll if all Iraqi women prisoners were not released from prisons in Iraq.
"I am just happy to be free. I just want to be with my family quickly," said Carroll. "I was treated well. It's important people know that. I was not harmed, they never said they would hit me."
"There was bound to be plenty of parachute journalism once the war started, and I didn't want to be a part of that," added Carroll.
One week ago, three peace activists were released during a British-led operation in Iraq. Jim Loney and Harmeet Singh Sooden, both Canadians and Norman Kember a British man were released on March 23, 2006. A fourth member of the group, Tom Fox from the U.S., was shot dead and found earlier in March in Baghdad. They were members of a group called Christian Peacemaker Teams.
- Caroline Alexander. "Jill Carroll, U.S. Reporter in Iraq, Freed by Captors (Update3)" — , March 30, 2006
- Susan Garraty and Jason Carroll. "Reaction to reporter Carroll's release" — , March 30, 2006
- "US hostage released in Iraq" — , March 30, 2006
- "American Hostage Jill Carroll freed in Iraq" — , March 30, 2006
- "American hostage Jill Carroll now free" — , March 30, 2006
- "Kidnapped American Reporter Jill Carroll Freed" — , March 30, 2006
- "Jill Carroll released by captors in Iraq" — , March 30, 2006
- Jonathan Finer. "Journalist Jill Carroll Released in Iraq" — , March 30, 2006
|This page has been automatically archived by a robot, and is no longer publicly editable.|