British 4G mobile spectrum auction underway
Friday, January 25, 2013
The auction for the United Kingdom got underway on Thursday. The auction process is expected to take several weeks and will take place online. are expected to roll out services by July.spectrum capable of carrying services in the
4G mobile network technology will bring faster downstream speeds than the current European countries.connections allowing for data-intensive surfing on the move such as video streaming. Some mobile users have criticised the industry regulator for having taken a long time to start rolling out the 4G technology, with the United Kingdom falling behind many other
launched the UK's first 4G network in a number of cities last year, however many people complained due to them being the only service provider. The bidders include the current main UK mobile network operators — , (O2), and (3) — as well as .
, the Chief Executive of Ofcom, said of the auction: "It will release the essential raw material for the next wave of mobile digital services. This will change the way we consume digital media in both our personal and working lives and deliver significant benefits to millions of consumers and businesses across the country."
Each bidder is competing with one another to win combinations of the 28 spectrum 'lots' available from the 800MHz and 2.6GHz spectrum bands.
- "Operators' 4G bidding war begins as Ofcom launches UK auction" — , January 23, 2013
- John McCann. "UK's 4G auction starts today, gavels at the ready" — , January 23, 2013
- "Bidding in 4G auction under way" — , January 23, 2013
- Katherine Rushton. "EE to launch 4G services at the end of October" — , January 23, 2013
- Simon D. Thomas. "4G Auction Bidding Has Now Officially Begun!" — , January 24, 2013