Betancourt calls for release of all FARC hostages
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Íngrid Betancourt, a former Senator in Colombia who was being held captive by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) until her rescue as part of Operation Jaque, has called for FARC to release all its hostages.
Thousands of people also marched through streets in Colombia after the broadcast of Betancourt's speech on Colombian television.
Betancourt was one of the 15 hostages rescued on July 2 by the Colombian army, who tricked FARC into handing over the hostages by pretending to be part of a non-governmental organization. She was kidnapped in February 2002 while campaigning for President of Colombia.
Despite the release of fifteen prisoners in Operation Jaque, FARC are still holding over seven hundred people in captivity.
Betancourt also called for the release of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, abducted by Palestinian gunmen on 25 June 2006 and held hostage by Hamas since. Shalit holds a French citizenship and has been denied rights to Red Cross (ICRC) visitation.
- "Betancourt in plea to Farc rebels" — , July 20, 2008
- מייקל פריד. "בטאנקור נשאה שלט למען שליט" — , July 20, 2008()
- "Betancourt urges FARC to free hostages" — , July 20, 2008
- Angela Doland. "Freed hostage gets hero's welcome in France" — , July 4, 2008
- "Holding Gilad Shalit as a hostage is a war crime" — , issued 25 June 2007