Bangladesh reports five new deaths due to COVID-19, a daily highest
Wednesday, April 8, 2020
Yesterday, Bangladesh has confirmed five new deaths due to COVID-19 on the day. This is the highest number of fatalities in a day due to the virus. As of yesterday, Bangladesh's (IEDCR) reported the number of recorded infected cases included 114 active cases and 33 recovered cases who were staying home. A total of 17 deaths have been recorded.
In an online news briefing, the director of IEDCR, Dr, said the fatalities included four males and one female. According to Dr Meerjady, two cases were aged above 60, two between 51 and 60, and one 41-50 years old. She also said two of the victims were from Dhaka. The World Health Organization (WHO) declared COVID-19 a pandemic on March 11.
A hospital official told Anadolu Agency, a local news outlet, that one of the deceased was Jalal Saifur Rahman, a director of Bengali Anti-Corruption Commission, who was cared for at the Kuwait Maitree Hospital.
On Saturday, in an online video announcement, Bangladeshi Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader said public transport would be shut down for longer than initially planned, until this coming Saturday. This public transport shutdown had initially started on March 26 and was planned to end on Saturday, April 4. Transport of essential goods -- medical, fuel and food -- was still allowed.
The first recorded incidents of COVID-19 infection in Bangladesh were on March 8, in two people who returned from Italy and also the wife of one of them. As of March 19, these three had already recovered.
- "World Health Organization declares COVID-19 pandemic" — Wikinews, March 14, 2020
- "COVID-19 Confirmed Patients" — , April 7, 2020
- "Coronavirus update in Bangladesh:5 more died" — , April 7, 2020
- "COVID-19: Bangladesh anti-graft director dies, death toll at 13" — , April 6, 2020
- "Covid-19: Another death, 18 new cases reported in Bangladesh" — , April 5, 2020
- "Bangladesh extends public transport shutdown to April 11 to contain COVID-19 spread" — , April 4, 2020
- "Roundup: Bangladesh, Japanese capital report highest daily tally of COVID-19 cases" — , April 4, 2020
- "Six die with Covid-19-like symptoms" — , March 31, 2020
- "Defusing Bangladesh’s COVID-19 time bomb" — , March 30, 2020
- "Bangladesh confirms second coronavirus death" — , March 23, 2020
- "Bangladesh reports first coronavirus death" — , March 18, 2020