40th Berlin Christopher Street Day celebration attracts thousands: in pictures
Tuesday, July 31, 2018
On Saturday, tens or hundreds of thousands of participants, reportedly, attended the 40th anniversary of the Berlin's celebration. The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Pride is referred to as CSD in Germany and Switzerland.
This year's theme of the event was My Body, my Identity, my Life ((de))German language: Mein Körper, meine Identität, mein Leben. The pride parade began at 12 PM at the and finished at the . About 70 cars were registered for the event. After the parade, speeches took place in the evening.
According to the German reports, one fatal incident took place during the parade. A 33-year-old man collapsed and died in the parade, and the police officials suggested an autopsy.
The first Christopher Street Day celebration in the German capital Berlin was organised in June 1979 and reportedly a few hundred people participated in the celebration. A year ago, Germany legalised same-sex marriage. The bill was passed by the on the last day before the parliament's summer break.
- "Mann (33) stirbt bei Berliner Christopher Street Day" — , July 29, 2018 ()
- "CSD-Parade in Berlin: Regenbogenfahnen, Hitze und viel nackte Haut" — , July 29, 2018 ()
- Daniel Hadjmehdi for AFP. "Transgender Syrian Katia finds refuge in Berlin" — , July 28, 2018
- "مئات الآلاف في برلين يحيون ذكرى أول عرض للمثليين قبل اكثر من 40 سنة" — , July 28, 2018 ()
- Kirsten Ripper for Reuters. "Etwa 500.000 feiern Christopher Street Day bei 33 ° in Berlin" — , July 28, 2018 ()
- Stefania Sarrubba. "Berlin Pride: Christopher Street Day parade turns 40 this weekend" — , July 26, 2018