31 killed in Afghanistan bus bombing
Saturday, September 29, 2007
A suicide bomber blew himself up on a bus carrying more than 50 people in Kabul, Afghanistan killing at least 31 and critically injuring 17 of the people on board. 28 were Afghan soldiers, and so far at least two civilians have been killed.
"At this time I can tell you that 31, almost all of them military personnel, have been martyred," said Afghanistan's Public Health Minister, Sayed Mohammad Amin Fatemi.
Reports say that the suicide bomber, who was dressed in a military uniform, walked onto the bus and blew himself up, tearing it into two pieces. Several businesses were also damaged in the attack and military personnel were retrieving body parts from trees.
Zabiullah Mujahid of the Taliban, says they are responsible for the blast and stated that the bomber was 'Azizullah', a Kabul resident.
- "30 die in Afghanistan bus bomb" — CNN, September 29, 2007
- "Afghan troops killed in bus bomb" — Al Jazeera, September 29, 2007
- "Suicide bomb attack kills 30 in Kabul" — Irish Times, September 29, 2007