15 killed and 22 injured after fire in Chinese bar
Sunday, February 1, 2009
A firework set light to the ceiling of the Latin-style bar at 11:55 pm. Within minutes the 198-square meter structure was fully alight, with the fire brigade receiving a call shortly after midnight on Sunday morning.
By 12:20 am the fire had been extinguished and rescuers found 35 people within the ruins, fifteen of whom were declared dead at the scene. The bar, which is on Zhenghe Road, was cordoned off by police and an investigation has been launched.
Most of the injured were suffering from smoke inhalation, burns to their heads and limbs or both. Changle City Hospital, which is a kilometer from the bar, provided first aid and the wounded were then transported to three other hospitals within the provincial capital Fuzhou.