'Daybreak' launches on ITV in UK
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Opening the broadcast, Bleakley commented: "Dawn is happening, day is breaking behind us here, it's a beautiful thing here behind us in the studio." Chiles then commented: "The sun is up and thank goodness. We spent good money bringing you this view [...] at least you can see it. Thank goodness for that." On the website for The Guardian, Stuart Heritage stated that "[a]lthough it does seem like a continuation of rather than a bold reinvention, some of the new aspects of Daybreak have worked. Adrian and Christine have done reasonably well and the other new faces all seem like good additions." The set for the programme features two purple sofas with a large round desk in between the sofas and a skyline of London in a backdrop.
The new programme was followed at 0830 BST (0730 UTC) by another new programme, entitled— hosted by — which was broadcast until 0925 BST (0825 UTC). Kelly stressed: "I've really missed you. I hope you like our new look and we've got a packed show for you today." The Lorraine set contains a pink sofa, a pink armchair and a large round white desk. The two new programmes are the successors to GMTV — which had its last broadcast on Friday.
Previously, Alison Sharman, ITV Director of Factual and Daytime, explained: "Daybreak plays a key part in ITV’s ongoing transformation and reflects the fact that creative renewal lies at the heart of our schedule, which is being modernised and improved under Peter Fincham. We want to ensure that the core audience of housewives with children keep watching but are also determined to attract new viewers to our revitalised breakfast show. As we approach the next stage of this transformational journey our newly confirmed anchors — Christine and Adrian — will be the lynchpins of Daybreak with their unique and brilliant partnership."
- Cara Lee. "Daybreak duo's cosy debut" — , September 6, 2010
- Andrea Magrath. "Christine Bleakley and Adrian Chiles cosy up on the sofa as Daybreak debuts on ITV" — , September 6, 2010
- "New Daybreak show debuts on ITV" — , September 6, 2010
- Andrea Magrath. "McFly give GMTV a rock 'n' roll send-off as show bows out after 17 years" — , September 3, 2010
- "Goodbye GMTV, hello Daybreak" – Two minute video preview of Daybreak and Lorraine from (YouTube, August 31, 2010)
- GMTV official YouTube channel