Talk:Shiites win dominating role in Iraq

Active discussions

Initial PingEdit

Ping Technorati

Are population percentages available?Edit

If we knew the percentage of the population of Iraq that is Sunni, Shiite and Kurdish then the election voting percentages would be more meaningful. For example the knowing the percentage of Sunni along with the percentage of Sunni voting would tell us what the Sunni turnout was. FrankH 23:36, 13 Feb 2005 (UTC)

Accurate percentages are not. The best guess is Shiite 60%, Kurdish 20%, Sunni 15%, other 5%. That is probably within +-5% of the real numbers. 66.51.192.14 03:15, 17 Feb 2005 (UTC)

I will wait...Edit

Thanks for that information. The other part I was hoping to find somewhere was the complete breakdown of the 111 political parties that were registered for the election. I assume a those parties were split among Shiite, Sunni and Kurdish. What I would then like to see is a comparison between the total vote for the Shiite parties compared to the 60% Shiite population percentage etc. I think both the Shi'a United Iraqi Alliance (UIA) and the Iraqi National Accord parties are Shiite so adding their percentages gives 62% but their must be other Shiite parties that I haven't seen reported anywhere. It is clear that the Kurds got 25% of the vote for 20% population. And I read somewhere that the biggest Sunni party got like 2% of the vote. But the problem is that only adds up to 89% of the total vote, so the other 100+ parties must have split the remaining 11% of the vote. How did that divide out and how do the totals compare to the population percentages?

I think we will have to wait till this is finalized and they actually come up with the seat assignments in the assembly. Parties that got too low a percentage will get 0 seats. Once those seat counts by party and minority are available, we can get the information I want. So I will just wait... FrankH 06:03, 17 Feb 2005 (UTC)

Return to "Shiites win dominating role in Iraq" page.