Talk:Israeli PM Ariel Sharon receives feeding tube
Some of the description regarding Mr Sharon's recent political activities are decidedly POV. While not measurably "wrong", they reflect one interpretation of his actions, and of the reactions of the region. Some specifics:
- effects most notably felt in the electoral victories of Hamas and the increase in rhetoric from Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. <- This is speculative; there is no way to guess whether Hamas's victory was helped or hindered (some earlier predictions gave Hamas a much much wider margin over Fatah, for example), and President Ahmadinejad's rhetoric with Europe and the US predates the stroke.
- While criticized by some leaders (certainly in the Arab world) for his sometimes harsh methods towards terrorist activities in Israel Israel does not include the Gaza and the other occupied territories (as described by the UN.) Most of the criticized "harsh methods" are not in Israel, but in these other regions.
- Sharon also became an important diplomatic figure in the Arab-Israeli conflict Mr Sharon has been a figure in this conflict predating the establishment of Israel in 1948. He is most well-known in the Arab world for his role in a massacre of refugees in a refugee camp in Lebanon.
- initiating the removal of Jewish settlements in Palestinian territories Mr Sharon also initiated the creation of settlements.
- He had become an active supporter of the United States' so-called "road map for peace" in Israel This statement is widely disputed, including by the United States.
- a plan which opened up opportunities to create a formal Palestinian state in the Arab world The UN, and its predecessor the League of Nations, have been pushing to create a formal Palestinian state since at least 1937; in no way did the US plan "open up" the opportunity to do so.
- Perhaps best to focus just on the current medical condition of Sharon. -Edbrown05 05:34, 2 February 2006 (UTC)
"Doctors say that the chances are slim that he will return to consciousness or return to a meaningful level of activity. As a result it is expected Sharon will be unable to serve as Prime Minister anytime in the future. Currently his position is being filled on an interim basis by Deputy Prime Minister Ehud Olmert."
- I reworded this to try to make it more understandable, the previous wording involved "little doubt that Sharon will not be able to serve" which was a bit confusing, and the section as a whole didn't quite flow completely. Veluet 22:29, 2 February 2006 (UTC)
Didn't they say before it was a minor. 126.96.36.199 15:55, 9 February 2006 (UTC)