Talk:Chinese astronaut walks in space

Active discussions



Aren't they called taikonauts? --Steven Fruitsmaak (Reply) 20:42, 27 September 2008 (UTC)

Well, yes (less commonly), but they're also called Chinese astronauts. Jade Knight (talk) 08:11, 28 September 2008 (UTC)
That's a western bias, changing to "Chinese astronauts (known as Taikonauts"--Ipatrol (talk) 03:33, 29 September 2008 (UTC)
I wouldn't call that western bias, so much as English bias. And... as this is the _English_ Wikinews, I think that makes sense. Even w:taikonaut just redirects to w:Astronaut. FTA "The term taikonaut is used by some English-language news media organizations for professional space travelers from China. [16] The word has featured in the Longman and Oxford English dictionaries, the latter of which describes it as "a hybrid of the Chinese term taikong (space) and the Greek naut (traveller), or astronaut"; the term became more common in 2003 when China sent its first astronaut Yang Liwei into space aboard the Shenzhou 5 spacecraft. [17] This is the term used by Xinhua in the English version of the Chinese People's Daily since the advent of the Chinese space program. [18] The origin of the term is unclear; as early as May 1998, Chiew Lee Yih (赵里昱) from Malaysia, used it in newsgroups,[19][20][21] while Chen Lan (陈蓝), almost simultaneously, announced it at his "Go Taikonauts!" GeoCities page.[22]" --ShakataGaNai ^_^ 03:55, 29 September 2008 (UTC)
Return to "Chinese astronaut walks in space" page.