Luxembourg Prime Minister Xavier Bettel hospitalised with COVID-19
Tuesday, July 6, 2021
According to a press release by the Luxembourg Ministry of State, the Prime Minister will "make additional tests and analyses" ((fr))French language: faire des tests et analyses supplémentaires during his stay, and remain under medical observation for 24 hours unless advised otherwise.
Bettel tested positive for COVID-19 after attending a European Council meeting in neighbouring Brussels, Belgium on June 25 with fellow European Union leaders. However, a Council official told precautions observed, including social-distancing and the wearing of face masks, meant none of the other leaders were considered "close contacts".
Several world leaders, including the prime ministers of Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Spain and Portugal and Council President , went into voluntary self-isolation after Slovakia Prime Minister and French President Emmanuel Macron tested positive for COVID-19 last December.
Bettel initially reported mild symptoms, such as a fever and headache, after both a self-test andtest yielded positive results, according to Delano.lu. He planned to self-isolate for ten days from June 27, and perform his duties by teleworking.
Bettel received his first dose of theon May 6, and had planned to get his second jab this month, reported Delano.lu.
Luxembourg has experienced a sharp rise in COVID-19 infections over the past ten days, according to The Guardian. 136 people tested positive for the virus on Saturday; according to Delano.lu, new daily cases had not exceeded 100 since May 18. Most new cases are attributed to the more-infectious Delta variant: 59.4% on July 2.
- "Prime Minister of Slovakia Igor Matovič tests positive for COVID-19" — Wikinews, December 21, 2020
- "US President Donald Trump tests positive for COVID-19" — Wikinews, October 3, 2020
- "Xavier Bettel sous observation médicale pour tests supplémentaires après une infection à la Covid-19" — , July 4, 2021 ()
- Jon Henley. "Luxembourg prime minister admitted to hospital with Covid" — , July 4, 2021
- "Luxembourg PM Xavier Bettel Hospitalised with COVID-19" — , July 4, 2021
- Pierre Pailler. "Delta variant now dominant in Luxembourg" — , July 2, 2021
- "Bettel positive for covid-19" — , June 28, 2021
- Stuart Lau. "Luxembourg PM Bettel tests positive for coronavirus" — , June 27, 2021