Holy Headdress of Christ carried in procession through streets of Cahors, France
Friday, May 3, 2019
As part of the celebration of 900 years of thein , , celebration ongoing through April, a precious relic was carried in procession through the streets of the city on Saturday, April 27: the of .
The Holy Headdress is recognized by tradition as the veil that covered the head ofwhen he was buried. By one tradition, brought back the relic of and offered it to the diocese of Cahors. The relic has been venerated in since the construction of the cathedral 900 years ago.
The "Sainte Coiffe" got back into the streets offor the first time in nearly eight decades. The relic was carried in procession followed by, according to varying reports, nearly 2000 people, perhaps some hundreds more, in an event both for believers and curious. The procession made its way at the pace of hymns and prayers, through the narrow streets of the town, then on the banks of the , and ended on the forecourt of the .
The event was sustained by the city of Cahors, the State of France, and the civil society, for which many people have invested themselves, including volunteers.
Other celebrations and other events have been planned in Cahors until December.
- Arnaud Bevilacqua. "In France the Holy Headdress brings about a sacred union" — , April 29, 2019
- Jean-Luc Garcia. "Procession de la Sainte Coiffe à Cahors : un moment de grâce vécu par près de 2 000 fidèles" — , Apr 27, 2019 ()
- André Décup. "Cahors. Près de 3000 personnes ont assisté à la Procession de La Sainte Coiffe" — , Apr 28, 2019 ()
- Procession de la Sainte Coiffe" — , Apr 27, 2019 () . "
- Letter to Laurent Camiade (PDF)" — , Apr 2, 2019 ()