Floods in Europe kill over 150, hundreds reportedly missing
Saturday, July 17, 2021
In Germany and Belgium, entire villages were left underwater, CNN reported. The regional government reported a dam broke along the in the German province last night. CNN meterologist Brandon Miller said about 100 to 150 mm of rain fell in a single day in many parts of West Germany, greater than the amount usually received in a month.
Thousands of Germans were left homeless due to flooding, buildings collapsing or being deemed at high risk of collapsing because of the floods. As of today, a dam near Frankfurt showed an entire house being carried away by flooding on the .was classified as a high-risk of collapsing. Footage near
Though the majority of deaths occurred in Germany,claims at least 24 have died in Belgium. On Thursday, the residents of the Belgian city of were ordered to evacuate by the city police.
- "Record rainfall leaves over 120 dead in western Europe, devastating parts of Germany" — , July 17, 2021
- "Rescuers rush to help as Europe's flood toll surpasses 150" — , July 17, 2021
- Zoe Tidman. "Germany-Belgium floods – latest: Death toll passes 160 as German president says people ‘have lost everything’" — , July 17, 2021
- "More flooding for Europe" — , July 17, 2021
- Lauren Walker. "‘Leave if you can’: Mayor of Liège seeks to evacuate city" — , July 17, 2021
- "Germany and Belgium floods: 'Enormous pressure' on dam near Cologne at risk of rupturing - as flood deaths reach 168" — , July 17, 2021