Detroit teachers stage sickout to protest working conditions as Obama visits
Thursday, January 21, 2016
A majority ofpublic schools were closed yesterday due to a coordinated "sickout" of teachers. This work stoppage was the latest in a series of showdowns with state government and was timed with an arrival by the President to attend an auto show. Activists used the opportunity to hold rallies to air their grievances publicly.
Educators have staged several work stoppages to protest the dilapidated state of public schools as well as Governor's plan for the schools, which involves spliting the school district in two. Yesterday's protest closed over 85 schools and followed last week's efforts which shut down more than 60 and prompted visits to school sites by Mayor and inspectors. Detroit Public Schools is several hundred million dollars in debt and has been under the administration of emergency manager for a year.
The "sickout" strategy attempts to sidestep Michigan law which prohibits teacher strikes. Schools have been found with mold in walls, crumbling infrastructure, and infestations.
In response to the sickout, the school district has filed a lawsuit and sought an injunction against the union as well as individual activists and teachers.
- Corey Williams (Detroit Schools Sue to Try to Stop Teacher Absences" — , January 20, 2016). "
- Greg Botelho, Ben Brumfield, and David Shortell. "Nearly All of Detroit's Schools Closed Due to Sickouts as Obama Visits" — , January 20, 2016
- Jon Schuppe and Blake McCoy. "Teacher 'Sickout' Shuts Down Almost All Detroit Schools" — , January 20, 2016
- George Hunter. "Security to Be Tight as Obama Visits Detroit Auto Show" — , January 20, 2016
- Sarah Cwiek. "Detroit Public School Teachers Turn to 'Sickouts' in Protest" — , January 15, 2016
- James David Dickson and Kim Kozlowski. "Another Teacher Sickout Closes Some DPS Schools" — , January 12, 2016
- "Informational Leafleting at the North American International Auto Show to Highlight the Shameful Conditions in Our Schools" — , January 20, 2016
- Rick Snyder. "Executive Order No. 2015-9 – Creation of the State School Reform/Redesign School Office" — , March 12, 2015