DaBaby Levitating remix losing US radio audiences after the rapper's comments on HIV/AIDS
Thursday, August 5, 2021
Following remarks by the rapper HIV/AIDS at a Miami, Florida festival, his remix of 's song has lost a significant amount of radio audience in the United States of America. Yesterday, reported that, out of all the radio plays for Levitating, DaBaby's remix now only makes up 49.5% of the radio plays for the song, a 20.7% decrease from last week.regarding
At a performance at the Rolling Loud festival in Miami, DaBaby told an audience, "If you didn't show up today with HIV/AIDS, or any of them deadly sexually transmitted diseases that'll make you die in two to three weeks, then put your cell phone light in the air", and went on to say, "Fellas, if you ain't suck a nigga dick in the parking lot, put your cell phone lights in the air." Lipa responded on herstory by writing that she was "surprised and horrified" by DaBaby's words, adding that "we need to come together to fight the stigma and ignorance around HIV/AIDS".
New York, has said that his station shifted to the version of Levitating that solely features Lipa, saying that WBLI management "just think it's the right thing to do" given what he called DaBaby's "plain wrong and hurtful" comments., which is the second-largest radio group in the USA, told that they had removed the remix of Levitating from their stations "in light of DaBaby's homophobic statements". Jeremy Rice, who is the programming and branding director of -based in
Fellow rapperdefended DaBaby, arguing that "If you have a video, and him living his truth, you gone damn sure have people like DaBaby who are going to speak they truth." Lil Nas X is a gay rapper, who released the music video for his single on July 23, which "depicted him and a crowd of male dancers seemingly performing nude", with their genitals blurred, according to .
Although DaBaby initially stood by his comments, on August 2 he apologised "to the LGBTQ+ community" for what he called "my misinformed comments about HIV/AIDS". While saying that he appreciated "the many people who came to me with kindness, who reached out to me privately to offer wisdom, education and resources", the rapper also wrote that "social media moves so fast that people want to demolish you before you even have the opportunity to grow, educate and learn from your mistakes".
- Steve Knopper. "DaBaby 'Levitating' Remix Yanked by Radio Programmers After Homophobic Remarks" — , August 4, 2021
- Sandra Gonzalez. "Rapper DaBaby apologizes for inflammatory comments" — , August 2, 2021
- Grant Rindner. "How DaBaby's Homophobic Comments at Rolling Loud Set Off a Firestorm" — , July 29, 2021
- Jessica Lee. "Did Lil Nas X Release an Uncensored Version of ‘Industry Baby’ Music Video?" — , July 29, 2021
- "Dua Lipa 'horrified' at DaBaby's HIV and gay comments" — , July 28, 2021
- Nick Reilly. "T.I. makes Lil Nas X comparison as he defends DaBaby’s homophobic comments at Rolling Loud Festival" — , July 27, 2021
- Reanna Cruz. "Lil Nas X, 'INDUSTRY BABY'" — , July 26, 2021