Comments:Wolfram Research’s new product Alpha to compete with Google and Wikipedia
This page is for commentary on the news. If you wish to point out a problem in the article (e.g. factual error, etc), please use its regular collaboration page instead. Comments on this page do not need to adhere to the Neutral Point of View policy. You should sign your comments by adding ~~~~ to the end of your message. Please remain on topic. Though there are very few rules governing what can be said here, civil discussion and polite sparring make our comments pages a fun and friendly place. Please think of this when posting.
Quick hints for new commentators:
- Use colons to indent a response to someone else's remarks
- Always sign your comments by putting --~~~~ at the end
- You can edit a section by using the edit link to the right of the section heading
- I tried it out, the ability to parse sense out of a query you enter is pretty limited. Until it can be a bit more fuzzy and accept terms that make sense to Joe Public as opposed to a domain expert it will just be an oddity.
- As an example, I asked "change in the value of $1000 from 1997 to 2007", no luck, after dozens of tweaks still no luck. There will be a steep learning curve for this - unless it gets smarter about that interpretation. --Brian McNeil / talk 10:53, 24 May 2009 (UTC)
Use in the classroomEdit
I was looking for ways to create technology learning opportunities in the classroom and came across this article. I played around with the webapge, http://www.wolframalpha.com/ and thought it could be a great tool for my students. The math problems were concise and my students would understand the simple format it is posted. I also entered in a variety of cities and could create several multi-curriculum projects with math, geography, history, weather, etc. It creates PDFs of information you request. Again, I think with some exploration on my part and my students, this could be a very useful tool in the classroom. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Shannatests (talk • contribs) 02:24, 31 March 2010 (UTC)