Comments:US Senator Robert Byrd dies at age 92
|Thread title||Replies||Last modified|
|On racisim||5||11:28, 30 June 2010|
|Comments from feedback form - "R.I.P Robert Byrd. Ow I wish y..."||0||02:28, 30 June 2010|
I believe that he died a racist, just hid it for most of his life. His two "Nay" votes against supreme court justices Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas are proof of this.
He was not racest. Overall he was one of the best senators of West Virginia.
Maybe he was just voting the racist sentiments of his constituents, regardless of his own feelings. You know, doing his damn job.
– 1942: Joins the KKK; eventually rises to the rank of “Exalted Cyclops.”
– 1945: Writes “Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.”
– 1947: Says in a letter that the Klan is needed “like never before” and declares that he is “anxious to see its rebirth.”
– 1964: Attempts to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It wasn’t out of principled libertarian support for property rights. Cites a racist study claiming that black people’s brains are statistically smaller than white people’s.
– 1967: Votes against Thurgood Marshall’s Supreme Court nomination. Went to J. Edgar Hoover to see if Marshall had any Communist ties that could ruin his nomination.
– 1968: Tells the FBI that it’s time that Martin Luther King, Jr., “met his Waterloo.” FBI ignores him.
– 1991: Votes Against Clarence Thomas’ Supreme Court nomination. Becomes the only senator in the body to have voted against both black Supreme Court nominees.
– 2001: Refers to what he called “white niggers” on national television. Try to imagine, say, Haley Barbour being given a pass after calling someone a “white nigger.