Comments:Protesters arrested at anti-Scientology event in Atlanta
This page is for commentary on the news. If you wish to point out a problem in the article (e.g. factual error, etc), please use its regular collaboration page instead. Comments on this page do not need to adhere to the Neutral Point of View policy. You should sign your comments by adding ~~~~ to the end of your message. Please remain on topic. Though there are very few rules governing what can be said here, civil discussion and polite sparring make our comments pages a fun and friendly place. Please think of this when posting.
Quick hints for new commentators:
- Use colons to indent a response to someone else's remarks
- Always sign your comments by putting --~~~~ at the end
- You can edit a section by using the edit link to the right of the section heading
Violation of Rights edit
That's what this is. I have nothing against Scientologists, but as an American citizen I am outraged that law enforcement would arrest people participating in a peaceful protest against anything! It is in our constitutional rights to protest and no one should be able to take that away from us. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 20:04, 17 March 2008 (UTC)
The showing of riot police is just plain ridiculous. The police were notified in advance that it would be a peaceful protest, that Anonymous is dedicated to non-violence. And yet they call in the Riot force? What did the CoS tell them to precipitate this disproportional show of police force? 184.108.40.206 18:49, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
- Arrested Anon: I realise you may wish not to give a statement until any proceedings against you have been settled, but if you would like to do so, please get in touch on the WikiNews IRC channel. The interview can be kept anonymous, of course, but it'd be nice to have some first-hand information on the topic. --JamesHarrison - (talk) 17:55, 17 March 2008 (UTC)
Atlanta. Of course it's Atlanta. I can see the April protests attracting a lot of commuters to Atlanta, and expect to see bigger crowds in support of the two who were arrested. That's what happens, the more injust arrests that are made, the bigger this stuff gets. --220.127.116.11 02:44, 17 March 2008 (UTC)
Atlanta Protests edit
The thing about the Atlanta Protest that many people are not aware of is that the Riot Squad is NOT the Atlanta Police, but in fact DeKalb. The next point of interest, in regards to the two anonymous members that were arrested, is that the police merely came over and grabbed them, never offering any support in the form of offering some kind of rules that the protestors should go by, and that it took the police two hours to walk over and explain what had happened. They also asked for a representative, which was chosen fairly quickly, and took him over to the side with the Riot Squad with the Co$. This member of Anonymous was allowed to come back over to our side of the street.
AWESOME FIRST-HAND ACCOUNT OF HONK CITATIONS edit
Why bother protesting? edit
Okay, they might be a brinwahing cult that screws up the lives of their opposition, but protesting seems kind of pointless. If you don't like the way they do things, don't join. Eventually they'll run out of followers and fade away. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 18:09, 17 March 2008 (UTC)
- WHY YOU ASK? "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Scientology's crimes are real. Operation Snow White, Operation Freakout, Lisa McPherson, Fair Game, R2-45, infiltrating of world governments, RPF forced labor camps, abuse of children, disconnection of families. If you are a Scientology sympathizer you are misinformed or brainwashed. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 19:00, 17 March 2008 (UTC)
- Please contact Queen's University Gazette. Individuals taken in by this dangerous cult need our support. They need information and protection from Cult leaders so that they can escape and live their lives without interference. Please show positive support and provide concise & direct informed opinions:
- Queen's Gazette welcomes letters to the editor from members of the university community and other readers about matters related to content in the Gazette, the university or higher education in general.
- Letters must be original and addressed to the editor. Opinions expressed are those of the writer.
- The Gazette does not publish anonymous letters. Please include your name, affiliation and phone number.
- Email or disk is preferable.
- Letters should be sumitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on the Monday before publication. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 20:28, 17 March 2008 (UTC)
Headline on front page horribly biased edit
The headline lead on the front page can bias an uninformed reader that the arrests were due to some sort of violence or incitinement of a riot, expecially with the mention of "Arrested by Riot Police". More clarification needs to be made on the front page about the peaceful protests. 188.8.131.52 23:53, 17 March 2008 (UTC)
Ticketed for Honking edit
Why were those who were honking being ticketed? This truly sounds like Scientology paid off the police department.
It's nice to know that I live in a country where I have to fear police action for showing support for the good people protesting a cult of life-destroying scammers. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 06:14, 20 March 2008 (UTC)
Court Case edit
What really sucks is that those guys can't put together a case. Sure there was a lot of first-hand witnesses saying they were told they did not need a permit, but how will the people arrested contact them?
Dekalb County is corrupt! They will not arrest illegal aliens but will take the citizens ! edit
If the Protesters were on the sidewalk they were on public sidewalk. I ws told by Dekalb couty police that you can stand anywhere you want on sidewalk .They can only arrest you if you go onto pavement. I have protested Hank Johnson. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 06:11, 27 March 2008 (UTC)